My baby cries when her grandma holds her

I have a 3 month old daughter. She sees a lot of people and is always in good spirits and all smiles. But when my MIL holds her or even has her on the bed, she will start to cry. Anyone know why a baby will cry with only one person?

MeeShee

Asked by MeeShee at 8:08 PM on Aug. 15, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• sometimes they just dont get a good vibe from them it doesnt mean they are bad eople r anything the baby just doesnt feel that comfortable with them. my neice was the EXACT same way she would only go to a select few people.. as she got a littlle bit older it wore off and she could really care less lol
    KelsoBabeyy

Answer by KelsoBabeyy at 8:10 PM on Aug. 15, 2008

• Babies sense things that we don't. I was taken away from my mother as a child and when my daughter was a new born I wanted to reunite with her. She held my baby and my daughter cried one of those hurt cries. As she got older she was always cheerful around other people.Don't force it. She will get older and if your ML is kind and gentle she can win her over. Don't let that bother you even though it may start to bother your ML.
    Peacefully

Answer by Peacefully at 8:21 PM on Aug. 15, 2008

• mine always cried with my father in law. he was very good with her, so i know it hurt his feelings. The more they hung around each other, the better it got. She is one now and always ask to see him (calls him Paa Paa). If it bothers you, then just limit the contact, but let your MIL know that is the reason.
    charisma10

Answer by charisma10 at 8:21 PM on Aug. 15, 2008

• My daughter is 3 and there are still some people she wont go to...my younger brothers to be specific and I don't know why. They LOVE her and want to play with her so bad. Its not that they're too tall or have facial hair, my father is much bigger and "scarier" looking and she loves him to bits. Its just something that she doesn't like. I know that eventually she will be more comfortable with them, so when they're together, I try to just let them be in the same room rather than pushing her to sit on their laps or something. Sometimes, if the conditions are right, she will let them help her do something she really wants to do (like get a gum ball out of a machine or something like that).
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 8:25 PM on Aug. 15, 2008

• I have found with my first son that a baby can cry for any given reason with people. My son was always a very happy baby but when certain people would hold him he would cry. A complete stranger could hold him (to him that is) and he would be fine. Sometimes it's not just that person it can be their cologne, or if they smoke or the way they hold them. If the person is unsure of holding them, then they can sense that. Me and my FIL always had tension between us and when he would try to hold my son, he would cry. He eventually grew out of it as he got older. Just remember that babies are people too and they have their own personalities. It doesn't necessairly mean your baby doesn't like her, just may mean she may not like something about her or on her. Babies only have one to let us know everything and that is to cry. It's up to us to figure out why and to try and fix it. Hope that helps but hang in there especially if you trust your MIL.
    bamamom520

Answer by bamamom520 at 9:11 PM on Aug. 15, 2008

• Thanks for your answers ladies. It could be the perfume. She wears a lot of that. I guess we just need to give it time.
    MeeShee

Answer by MeeShee at 9:38 PM on Aug. 15, 2008

• My daughter did the samething to my FIL. He is the only one she did it to. Now she loves him to death she is now 10 months.
    SandraBeth

Answer by SandraBeth at 10:48 PM on Aug. 15, 2008