OHIO CHILD SUPPORT: Do I have to let him claim my kids every other year if he only sees them 4 days a month?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:56 PM on Jun. 23, 2009 in Money & Work

• Yeah, I think you do. Regardless of whether he sees them or not, he's still sending the check every month.

Now... if he stopped paying.... then you might have something to work with.
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 6:57 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• I live in Ohio and i didn't know about this. Me and my daughters father don't have a parenting agreement or anything. I get childsupport from him every month. We don't have a court appointed visitation schedule. He picks her up on Thursday and friday for a few hours and brings her back home. i knew nothing about him being able to do that.. can he??
    Anonymous

• Are you talking about for your state taxes or federal taxes? Huge difference.
    Busimommi

Answer by Busimommi at 7:27 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• I am talking about federal taxes not state.
    Anonymous

• okay on the federal website it say unless u okay him doing this he has to pay more then 600 something a month or have them more then 6 months a year... I would not let him claim them.. but thats just me i had this issue with my youngest father.. if its in the courtpaper work then you have to let him other then that u do not unless the 600 or 6 months
    miss_nevin

Answer by miss_nevin at 12:08 AM on Jun. 24, 2009

• It depends entirely on what's in the divorce agreement. If you guys agreed to every other year, then yes. You would have to change the divorce papers to get to claim them each year. However, if the divorce papers are silent to that, then you should be able to claim them based on the IRS rules.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:27 AM on Jun. 24, 2009