What would you do if a boy texted mean things to your 12 year old daughter?

Would you text him back stating who you are and then tell him not to text that phone # again? Or would you let your daughter handle it?

He keeps asking her out and she keeps turning him down. After a while he will text back and say that he was just joking. It is pissing me off.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:59 PM on Jun. 23, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• we have our daughters under a contract that we control and we could block his number.Could give a period of time to see if she can handle it.If not you might just try calling him and letting him know that your aware of it. ( if you just text he won't think that it real ) best of luck
    Shaqbe4u

Answer by Shaqbe4u at 7:02 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• Well, first things first, IF ( and that's a big "if") I even let my 12 yr old have a cell phone, it would be pre-programmed with what numbers she could dial/receive from & there would be no texting service. That would eliminate this issue before it ever happened.

But, that's just me.

If I were in your situation, I would first take these messages to the boy's parents & to the school. If it continued after that, I'd notify authorities & file harrassment charges on him.
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 7:03 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• just ignore him and maybe he will stop
    looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 7:04 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• First I would call him and tell him not to text her anymore. If he didn't stop or is rude to you, then I would call his parents. If that didn't curb his zeal, I would call the police.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 7:06 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• I would tell him to stop or im calling his parents it will probaly scare him into stopping
    heavenlypeace

Answer by heavenlypeace at 10:39 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• Go to the house with my DD and the phone and tell him to stop. Or take her to school one day and just run into him... And make him stop. If that didn't work then tell his parents and MAKE it stop. I would have to talk some calm tablets though. The thought of that makes me fiery
    mummylovebaby

Answer by mummylovebaby at 11:21 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• If it were me, I'd text him back and tell him who I was. Then, if I could, I'd find some way to show his mother.

I had to do this once when my daughter was being harassed on MySpace. It worked - the mean kid started leaving her alone, and never bothered her again.
    MinstrelMommy

Answer by MinstrelMommy at 12:33 AM on Jun. 24, 2009

• The real question here is, why does your 12-year-old have a cell phone, and why does she have a text message program?
    Mousuke

Answer by Mousuke at 1:21 AM on Jun. 24, 2009

• I think I would let my daughter handle it to a certain point. As long as I was completely involved with reading them when they came. She's obviously learning to stand up for herself and be assertive, which is what you want a daughter to learn for when she's in a relationship someday. She's also learning to empower herself and that while you support her you are also acknowledging her growing maturity. If things got way out of hand, like 10-15 texts in a few hours, abusive language, threats, etc. Then I would get involved.

Lesli

Answer by Lesli at 10:00 AM on Jun. 24, 2009

• I am with Lesli, I think a young lady needs to handle herself. That and I had a cell phone when I was in middle school (I'm only 18) and the worst thing to do is let them know that it's her mom on the phone unless it get's real bad. Kids make fun of each other more when they know parents are involved, it just won't be on the phone, it will be in between classes and when she's at lunch.
    A_DiPasquale09

Answer by A_DiPasquale09 at 11:41 AM on Jun. 24, 2009