AA and religion

Due to my job I had to observe an AA meeting. I had heard of them and their 2 steps but had always heard it could be done with any faith that has a higher power (so all but atheists) After sitting in on one and hearing about the christian god repeatadly and having it end in the lords prayer I wonder if AA is really as friendly to non chrisitans as I have heard claim to. Has anyone been to an AA where other faiths talked or praised their god? What about Atheists? If it is so hevy handed in Chrisitan faith should it be court mandated that people go to AA or should there be an alternative to those of other faiths?

Alanaplus3

Asked by Alanaplus3 at 7:00 PM on Jun. 23, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Recovery is recovery and spirituality may be important but it should be individual not group so having a specific denomination shouldnt be allowed.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 8:47 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• was the AA meeting you observed held in a church or church-like setting? perhaps is was geared more to those of a certain faith. my dh attends AA/NA meetings, and i've sat in on some of them..never have they said the Lord's prayer, or indicated a certain belief in any god/God. in fact, i found the meetings/steps to be pretty vague or generalized, as far as 'faith' was concerned.
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 9:33 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• I think location as alot to do with it. Whether that be the actualy location or the town. If it's a more dominantly Christian town, then i can see that. Theres usually more than one place that holds meeting, so im sure theres a setting that everyone can join comfortably.
    MommyLee08

Answer by MommyLee08 at 9:41 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• AA and their 12 steps may do some good to some people but also a lot of harm by saying that we are powerless, need to be humble and look for spiritual awakening.
    Any dependence on chemicals is a disease and should be treated this way. I know of programs that help you raise your self esteem instead of crushing it like AA does with their 12 steps, what I have in mind is Women For Sobriety. Also there is a program Men For Sobriety of course.
    Facing the reality and understanding the consequences of drinking or using drugs is required to fight the disease and program called Rational Recovery is an example of one that addresses that. A program strictly for atheists, agnostics may benefit form it too is called SOS, Save Our Selves.
    I quit called turkey 11,5 years ago, and Women For Sobriety has my highest recommendations, as well as the other two I mentioned. Cont.
    BeaMoore

Answer by BeaMoore at 11:39 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• AA gave me the feeling of hopelessness and even deeper depression and desire to keep drinking. Facing facts and reality, making me realize that I am not a powerless person helped me stop. I think I am more powerful and liberated without drinking thanks to these programs. Unfortunately the courts still give you AA as mandatory "treatment" in cases of DUI and such, which to me is totally wrong. Their statement that it is either their way or you are doomed puts people in a terrible state of mind and that is just plain wrong.
    BeaMoore

Answer by BeaMoore at 11:43 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• See that is what I was wondering this was in a faculity and we fight so hard to let these people know that they have power in their lives to make their lives what they want and than AA comes along and says you are powerless. If it works for some people great, but it was like it destroyed so much of what you get people to work towards.
    Alanaplus3

Answer by Alanaplus3 at 12:00 AM on Jun. 24, 2009

• Whatever, whoever wants to say this is a great program, to me it is a religious sect, and just the fact that they say their way is the only way out of alcoholism is the proof of that. Basically if you leave us you are going to hell, going to hit the bottom, you are lost. Total scare tactics, just like in many religious cults, they convince you you cannot live without them and do anything on your own.
    Check out the Women For Sobriety program and you will see that it is a total opposite, oh, and no mention of any spiritual/religious stuff. I love them.
    BeaMoore

Answer by BeaMoore at 8:25 AM on Jun. 24, 2009

• I agree that admitting you have no power over your own life and your own desires is detrimental to you, your life, and your accountability. Way to go for figuring out what you needed to quit! :)
    nobakecheezcake

Answer by nobakecheezcake at 9:04 AM on Jun. 24, 2009