Is there anyone who believes that mental illness is just an "illusion"?

Or that you can conquer mental illnesses with a "mind over matter" mentality?

I of course know first hand that my depression and PPD are most certainly not illusions. I'm curious to see what other people think though.

caitxrawks

Asked by caitxrawks at 7:03 PM on Jun. 23, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• i think some are... which i am not going to name because its controversial. but depression and ppd and a lot of others are of course not "fake"
    Anonymous

• It might be possible for some, but I couldn't control it when I had PPD. It was more anxiety than depression, and I didn't even do something about it for 8 months. All I had to take was some birth control to fix my hormonal imbalance after having a baby, but when I had panic attacks there was absolutely no way I could talk myself out of it.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 7:08 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• I am bipolar and I wish it was an illusion sometimes I trick myself into thinking I can beat it. If I tried hard enough. I think that I must be a laziest person in the world because I could not buck up and beat it. I am still trying to learn how to deal with the idea that it is not beatable you can't just get over it. It can be dealt with and manged and I hope to get to that point some day.
    Anonymous

• No. I don't. Those who believe this are in denial. People don't chose mentally illness anymore than someone chooses to be gay. It's just part of who you are.
    JackalsWife

Answer by JackalsWife at 7:08 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• I definately don't think it's an illusion- most of the time. There are people who fake it so much they actually really start to believe it themselves. The mind is a powerful thing and there probably are many mental illnesses that can be cured without meds or therapy. Some people are stronger than others and can overcome mental problems alone, but there are those who can't or their illnesses are too dangerous or life threatening and need medicated.
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 7:10 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• That's a good point, some people "fake it till they make it." It's like that phantom pregnancy stuff...freaky.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 7:11 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• I work with people that have disabilities. All of them have some sort of mental illness on top of it.. there is no way any of them have it as an illusion. There are those people who fake it for the attention. There is a disease or illness for any body part.. the brain has it too.
    starmoonlight

Answer by starmoonlight at 7:14 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• Ever heard of a sugar pill?

After taking these pills(no medication what so ever) suddenly people feel better and illness can go away.

It's all in your head and mental strength has a lot to do with it.

If it is not a chemical problem(sugar pill cures have worked before) it can sometime be considered true illness.
    Anonymous

• No. I believe most mental disorders are very real. I've suffered depression for years and panic attacks too. Without medication, I'd totally lose my mind.
    To anon: 7:08 -- Read the book "His Bright Light --The Story of Nick Traina" by Danielle Steele. You can probably get a copy at Amazon.com. It's the true story of Danielle Steele's son who was Bi-polar and the struggles they went through every day trying to help him. It's such a sad, yet inspiring story. I've read it twice.
    lighthousemom3

Answer by lighthousemom3 at 7:21 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• living with a husband who suffers from Depression, PTSD and anxiety disorder/panic attack... it is definitely not and illusion. those who say a sugar pill will take care of it don't live with someone with these diseases. it not only effects the person, but everyong in their lives. while exercise and diet can help many who suffer from mild depression, it can boost someone's mental state that suffer from severe depression, but does not take all the symptoms away. now i do believe that you can trying to focus on the good and not the bad can help., though not everyone is capable of doing this.
    ArmyWifeMomof3

Answer by ArmyWifeMomof3 at 7:36 PM on Jun. 23, 2009