Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Chocolate and dogs?

How bad is chocolate for dogs? My dog just ate 3 or 4 miniature hershey bars (I don't even know where she got them from!). I remember my MIL giving her dogs chocolate cookies and stuff for years and they lived to be 16 and 14. But I keep hearing not to let dogs have chocolate. Will my dog be ok? She's a dachsund.

 
Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:10 PM on Jun. 23, 2009 in Pets

This question is closed.
Answers (10)
  • It depends on the amount consumed and the size of your dog. The more concentrated the chocolate, the worse. Chocolate contains a chemical called theobromide that will induce a heart-attack in the animal. The best first-aid course of treatment is to pour about 1Tbls of hydrogen peroxide per 10 pounds of body weight to induce vomiting. It will occur in about 2-10 minutes.

    It doesn't sound like your dog ate very much, and hershey's is usually a diluted chocolate. If all she ate was the little amount, she's likely to be okay; however, the next time she does it, I recommend vomit induction.

    There is very little you can do that can reverse thebromide poisoning once it starts, so the best course of action is to not give your dog chocolate at all. But of course, our pups seem to love the stuff. Keep a first aid kit with a bottle dropper and hydrogen peroxide on hand just in case.
    Busimommi

    Answer by Busimommi at 7:24 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

  • I would call a vet. Ever since i was little, i heard not to give a dog chocolate. I guess they're allergic to it or something like that.
    starmoonlight

    Answer by starmoonlight at 7:11 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

  • A one time gulp of alot of chocolate will not do anything except bring on diahrea. It's the daily dosage of chocolate that damages their heart.
    EireLass

    Answer by EireLass at 7:19 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

  • Chocolate is bad for dogs, usually its a cumulative effect. I don't know how much is too much, but you can keep an eye on him and make sure he has plenty of water nearby. Watch out for these signs: Lethargy (not moving around or unable to get up), foam or spittle building up on the mouth, red eyes, uncontrollable shaking. These are all signs that you need to get him to a vet immediately. Call a vet and make sure, bc I've only had this problem with large breed dogs. I do know that baking chocolate and dark chocolate are worse than regular milk chocolate as well. Good luck and I hope he is ok!
    Emuu

    Answer by Emuu at 7:19 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

  • if sh estarts acting funny take her to the vet...but my dd gives my dog chocalte all the time even though i tell her it'll make him sick but he 90lbs so a little bit of cholcalate doesnt hurt him...to much chocalate can be toxic to them so just watch her for vomiting and if she doesnt want to move...if she makes it through then ite without problems u should be in the clear
    rainmommy

    Answer by rainmommy at 7:36 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

  • My weenies (I have 4) have gotten into chocolate before. If she doesn't act funny expect some loose poo's in the next day or so.
    ColleenF30

    Answer by ColleenF30 at 8:17 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

  • OP here - Thank you all! I couldn't get ahold of the vet (which is why I came here) because it was after hours and we are out in the sticks, there's no emergency vet for 2 hours. She only got ahold of 2 of the hershey's minis (we found the wrappers). My kids owned up to hiding the chocolates under their beds. lol She seems to be doing ok now. Same activity level and had a good walk. I had a long talk with the kids about keeping the chocolate away from the dog. They said they didn't think she'd find it under there. lol I'll call the vet in the morning but she seems to be doing alright, I'll keep an eye on her tonight though. THANK YOU ALL!
    Anonymous

    Answer by Anonymous at 9:24 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

  • Google it. I found a chart that talks about the different types of chocolate and how it affects docs. milk chocolate isn't that bad and since your dog iddn't eat much, she'll probably be fine. Watch for diahhrea though. She may have quite a bit if she ate enough. And encourage her to drink water.
    Anonymous

    Answer by Anonymous at 9:33 AM on Jun. 24, 2009

  • ALSO, Raisins are very toxic to dogs. They cause renal failure. Oooh, and chicken bones are very bad for dogs too. They tear up the lining something something in the dogs intestinal track and stomach
    Starfire73

    Answer by Starfire73 at 11:00 AM on Jun. 25, 2009

  • I think its something like 4ounces of chocolate can cause serious problems in small dogs. Find out how much she ate then only give her water for about 24 hours and it should help. If she acts weird, take her to a vet.
    MrsTMorgan

    Answer by MrsTMorgan at 4:56 AM on Jun. 27, 2009

close Cafemom Join now to connect to other members! Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN