Does anyone else think its hard to travel alone on an airplane with your baby?

The first time I took my son on the plane was with my hubby. My parents want me to visit them soon but I will be going alone. I get nervous when it comes to going through security b/c they don't help with anything and how do I hold my son and put the stroller on the xray belt at the same time? Those security people were not nice last time. I was greatful my hubby was with me.

mommylovesu28

Asked by mommylovesu28 at 7:12 PM on Jun. 23, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• go through, put him in the stroller, throw everything in the basket and there you go. the stroller goes under the plane. when you get to the plane, just tell them you'd like a tag and for them to put it under, they will get it for you when you land also. just make sure you keep toys, coloring book, diapers, wipes, sippys/bottles, ect in the bookbag, throw some in your purse if you don't have room. it's really not that hard once you get used to it. i've flown with my son 4 times already
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 7:30 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• I'd never have the guts to do it. When we flew with my son when he was 4 months I had both my husband and my mother!
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 7:12 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• I would put the baby in a sling and carry him through the airport. And just take one carry-on bag.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 7:13 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• How old is he? Can he stand on his own? If he can then I would just take him out and have him stand as I put the stuff on the conveyor belt.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 7:14 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• well the first time i flew with my son i was by myself. i decided to use the baby carrier thing, you know the one that attaches the baby to your stomach/back. anyway, that was a disaster. you have to take him out through security, then it's hard to grab your stuff and put him back in, then you have to take him out when you're getting on the plane cuz a) it's uncomfortable to sit with him sitting like that, and b)they told me he couldn't be in it during the flight. then you have to put him in it right when you're leaving...it's just a hassle. i suggest just to get a little bookbag, put what you need in there, get a small umbrella stroller with a little basket in the bottom, and your purse. that's all you really need. it was a breeze through security the second time i flew, all you had to do was kick the stroller the right way and it folded, throw it up on the belt, take shoes off, put everything in the bucket, get it when you
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 7:27 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• Are you serious? Any travelling with a baby is a hassle. The first time I flew by myself with my DD was when she was a month old. I went to Chicago. It was pretty simple for me. I just brought her car seat. I know I had to pay extra, but it was easier for me. The next time I travelled, I had my 2 year old and a 3 month old. That was harder. My 2 year old say on my lap and I brought the car seat again. It was a little more difficult because I had 2 demanding my attention, but we managed and the flight attendants were very nice. My third is here, but if we travel, not that my DH has a new job, he can come with us and I think we will drive this time. We can stop at some different sites.

krissyvelazquez

Answer by krissyvelazquez at 8:15 PM on Jun. 23, 2009