8 year old cry baby

I made a bean taco for dinner. It wasn't the best of plans because I only had the soft corn shells and they don't bend as nice as the flour ones. Mine fell apart and I got a fork and ate it. It was very tasty. My daughter took one bite and said it tasted good. Then it fell apart and I told her to get a fork. She is now in the other room crying because she cannot eat her taco. I was very sensitive about it, I said I felt bad she would now have to starve to death. She is seriuosly crying about a taco!! What the heck!!!

MACY7108

Asked by MACY7108 at 7:18 PM on Jun. 23, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Jeez my eldest nephew is the biggest whiner everrrrr. He cried cause his socks didnt match. They were both white but one had a blue stripe on the toes and the other didnt. ugh! I told him he could wear them or none at all. He cried for about an hour, haha when I say cried I mean through an all out fit over a dang sock! I had to send him to his room until he calmed down cause it was rediculous to me...
    Anonymous

• Is she always a cry baby about little things? If not, she could be tired. She could be stressed about something.
    If she's always a cry baby, like mine, she might just be really sensitive. Or, she likes to have things within her control and doesn't know how to deal when things aren't.

Just a few suggestions.
    Anonymous

• Sometimes kids have trouble adjusting when things turn out different then they had planned. My oldest was this way and is starting to out grow it.
    Please do not make a big deal over it, it will only make them feel worse. Would you like her to remember you berating her for being sensitive?
    I am not saying you OP...I am saying you in general.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 7:31 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• I don't know if I was berating her although I have been known to be pretty sarcastic. I was trying to point out that it wasn't the end of the world because she wasn't starving. I finally decided to make a joke out of it and cut off a little piece and said here comes the choo choo. She laughed and I put it in her mouth. She promptly ran to the garbage, spit it out and said it taste terrible.

She can be about 25 years old 1 minute and 3 years old the next. I mean in between all of this she was sorting her clothes and loading the washer. She likes to do her own laundry. I am hoping she likes the idea of making her own dinner because I am on strike the rest of the night.
    MACY7108

Answer by MACY7108 at 7:42 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• The rule in our house is if you don't eat your dinner, no matter what it is, that you don't complain and you don't eat anything else.
    At this point I would probably just tell her it is in the fridge if she gets hungry and leave it at that. I wouldn't say anything about the way she was acting because it will just upset her more.
    As I said my oldest was this way and the less we made a big deal about stuff the more he did without having a fit. If we at all let a hint of us making a big deal about it then it became a big deal.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 7:54 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• My oldest is like that. She'll be 9 on Sunday and cries over the stupidest stuff. It drives me nuts. She probably would cried because we didn't have the right shells to begin with (she only likes the flour ones...at least right now she only likes the flour ones). I mean, you can just look at her the wrong way and she accuses you of making faces and starts bawling that you are mean and you didn't even do anything.
    My dad calls her "mandrake" as in the mandrake roots from Harry Potter who let out this shrill screech when unpotted. She sounds just like that. Of course that just makes her scream louder and then she starts yelling how we all hate her and I didn't even do anything, I'm just standing there cooking dinner. Constant fun in this house, I tell you.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 7:55 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• she's crying over mommy wanting her to starve to death. Put the taco stuffing on a piece of bread for goodness sakes and feed the child. Tell her you do NOT want her starving to death. Kids take your words literally. That was just bad mothering.

Answer by admckenzie at 8:28 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• girls are just that way- overly dramatic about everything ... my daughter is 8 & she is the drama queen. i think the hormones are hitting our daughters at a younger age compared to us growing up. i remember not caring about anything until about 12 then it was all down hill after that - lol :)
    scooterpooter

Answer by scooterpooter at 9:24 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• admkenzie your funny Luckily my daughter is not a moron and has a great sense of humor. I am guessing your pretty much a drama queen yourself. I often find people who indulge in mommy bashing are quite insecure in their own abilities. Don' t worry you will be fine and don't sweat the small stuff.
    MACY7108

Answer by MACY7108 at 9:48 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• I have a lot of sensory issues about food, and always have. It was a constant war when I was growing up. I gave my children a little more leeway for their likes and dislikes (even about something aesthetic like this) and as a result, I raised good eaters who are willing to try great variety, and love healthy food. Not short-order cook leeway, no, but some. I think it's a pick-your-battles thing myself. Of course, some of that with them is they don't have autistic wiring and I do. I know that is at the heart of most of my food-related issues.
    roachiesmom

Answer by roachiesmom at 9:55 PM on Jun. 23, 2009