Airforce wives, please answer!!

Note: I deleted this before I wanted to. I need more answers. Thanks!!

My husband and I are considering having him join the Airforce when he's done with school. He only has a year and a half left, but we're the plan-ahead type. Anyway, what has it been like for your family? How often is your hubby away without you? How many times have you ALL been sent overseas? How hard is it to be without your DH? I'm prone to anxiety and depression and I am a pretty emotional person, so I need to know all the gory details to prepare myself. Thank you so much, and thank your husbands for me for serving!

ACL2007

Asked by ACL2007 at 7:26 PM on Jun. 23, 2009 in Relationships

• Ok im not an Airforce wife but i am an army wife.Not going to lie it can get hard when they are away but there are so many support groups that will help you and your family through it. Im bad with the depression also so i know how you feel. Me and my DH have not been sent overseas yet but we would like to go. He has been in 2 years so far. My DH was an army brat and his family was in germany for 6 years and turkey for 5. But his parents decided they wanted to stay there that long. Im not 100% sure but i think they wont let you stay overseas for more than 4 years now at the most. We just had our first so im not sure how it would be with kids but a close friend of mine is also an army wife with 2 kids and she still likes it. Its nice to know that your going to get paid no matter what and you dont have to pay for housing if you live on base they will also cover all the utillities. cont...
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 7:55 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• cont...
    But if you live off base then they will give you a set ammount of money for housing. If you have some more questions about military life then just message me and ill be more than happy to help. My sister is in the Airforce so i know a bit about that one also and if i dont know i should be able to find out from her. Hope what i have said helps =)
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 7:57 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• Thanks it does! Thanks for your openness too!
    ACL2007

Answer by ACL2007 at 7:59 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• We have been air force for nearly 7 years. It is a secure life. But it does require a lot of you. You will be the primary parent. And the Air Force needs come first. But if you have a good supervisor, he/she will do thier best to take care you the family as well. You will have to be proactive in making friends and restarting your life after ever move. That is the hardest for me.
    It is hard when he will be gone, but the deployments are 6 months. As far as how often he wil be gone depends on his job. When my hubby was a crew chief he was gone for 6 months, every two years. (and with the AF if he is less likly to be at the hot zones) With this current job he is gone on TDYs (those are short stays at another base) about monthly. Those I don't mind. But we are preparing for a deployment in the next year.
    If your hubby is finishing his degree, definatly go in as an officer, more pay better housing options.
    DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 8:07 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• Continueing.
    You say you are emotional. Eigther you will find an inner stregth you never knew you had or you can go to the Life Skills for assistance. There is a lot of support groups. Keeping busy and developing friends in your new city is key. Those firends will be your life line and help to keep you sane. You will need them for so much. Deployments are hard. You become a single parent without any new money issue. The kids act out. Mine stops using the potty, wippee. The computer is the best. My hubby talks to the kids daily and even the little one (18 mo) enjoys it. When he is gone, there is a stress that never goes away. You are the one that every one will be looking to for every thing, there is no day off, even if you have a sitter and are out. THat wears on me, I enjoy having family visit, that lessons the stress. Some wives go home for the entire depoleyment, doesn't work so well with older kids though
    DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 8:21 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• Still continueing ( you said you needed all the info)
    Finding jobs is hard. Your job has to cover any day care and you can't depend on you hubby to be there for part or all of it. Agian those friends come in very handy. If you want or are getting your degree, work on it as much as you can before you join. I am still trying to get my masters. The last two bases didn't have what I needed and I am hoping that I can finsih before we have to move.
    We haven't gone over seas, but there is a time limit as to how long you can stay. We are hoping to go in a few years. If there is anything else I can answer feel free to send me a message.
    Don't trust the recruiter, unless you have it in writing.
    DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 8:25 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• You will still get an income when he is away. Dont worry about that. But i know with the army we would get sepperation pay and alot of other things on top of his normal pay. And its great when things were tight because of bills you had before he deployed.
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 8:42 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• Your husband will get paid no matter what and when he goes on deployments he will make extra money and on TDY's. And it also depends on what squadron your hubby goes to cause my hubby is in the air force and he will be going for 6mo and come back for 9mo and then leave for another 6mo.
    megclark22

Answer by megclark22 at 8:44 PM on Jun. 23, 2009