• In the Spotlight:

Did you get a double stroller?

I have an almost 4 year old and baby due end of september. He still goes in the stroller when we go places cause he gets tired and I'm not gonna hold him. So I was wondering if anyone got a double stroller when they were expecting their 2nd baby and if it was worth it to you, cause DH seems to think we dont need one but I do.

charrenee

Asked by charrenee at 7:37 PM on Jun. 23, 2009 in Shopping

• I did because my babies are 18 months apart. I don't think I would if the older one was four years older. Strollers are expensive and I don't think I would use it for long enough to get my money's worth.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 7:40 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• I'm looking at ones that are double and convert into sit and stand. DH works nights so when I go places I mostly go by myself and if I have them by myself I'm not gonna be pushing 2 different strollers or hold DS when he gets tired, that's why even though he's 4, i think ill be better off

charrenee

Answer by charrenee at 7:48 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• he's 4 and you put him in a stroller? my kids are 16 months apart, we got one cuz my son didn't start walking until 14 months, and we had gotten it before that. by the time my dd was born and we were actually going places, it was a waste of money cuz my ds walked everywhere. he's got 2 legs, he can walk. now places like the zoo, we still bring the one stroller, but if he gets tired i just put him on top of the stroller for a little bit until he's rested enough to walk.
    Anonymous

• oh, and my dh is deployed so i go everywhere with them by myself
    Anonymous

• yeah so what he just sits in it when he's tired of walking and a lot of times falls asleep. he used to not want to be in it when he was a baby either and wanted to walk but now he likes to sit in it but will get out when he wants. I don't want to hear him whining that he's tired everytime we go anywhere
    charrenee

Answer by charrenee at 8:01 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• I was wondering the same thing! I havent gotten one yet, but Im thinking about it. I dont want to be carrying her around all summer long, shes too heavy!
    Weesmom

Answer by Weesmom at 8:21 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• I had one and it was handy, but my girls are only 2 years apart, so I got a couple of years use out of mine. Since your almost-4-year-old presumably will not be riding in a stroller very much longer, you might consider buying a used one off craigslist or something--you can probably pick one up for 30 or 40 bucks that way. I would just have a hard time justifying spending $150 on something I might only use for a few months.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 4:36 PM on Jun. 27, 2009

• Both of mine were still consenting to ride in (or put in anyway at times) a stroller by and after four, so my double stroller was a good investment (esp. since my in-laws got it for us) long after my older child outgrew it altogether. Even if your 4 year old basically decides to outgrow the need to ride the second you get the stroller, it can still be invaluable if you have more than one kid and have to go places a lot. Or know you will be getting a lot of stuff. The baby, the diaper bag, the big kid's stuff, your bag, your shopping -- you need a packhorse. Especially if you are by yourself most of the time you run errands or whatever.

Since you still have a few months, I also recommend looking around for a used one, too. You could luck up on one barely used. Or drop shameless hints to everyone who asks what you need -- maybe some people would go in together on one for you.
    roachiesmom

Answer by roachiesmom at 5:15 PM on Jun. 27, 2009

• yeah I've been looking on craigslist and consignment shops but they are all raggedy looking or not too much less than a new one, but ill keep looking. we still have the single one my son uses now so I was thinking even if he only uses the double one for another year and then doesn't want to anymore then the baby can just go in the single one we have later

charrenee

Answer by charrenee at 2:24 PM on Jun. 28, 2009

• we got a sit-n-stand stroller and we love it... when our son almost 3 years old gets tired he can stand or sit in the back of it and it also has the thing for the infent carseat
    kirbysmommy

Answer by kirbysmommy at 11:58 AM on Jun. 29, 2009