WHAT ON EARTH????

IS IT ME OR IS THIS JUST RIDICULOUS???

700 NYC teachers are paid to do nothing

NEW YORK – Hundreds of New York City public school teachers accused of offenses ranging from insubordination to sexual misconduct are being paid their full salaries to sit around all day playing Scrabble, surfing the Internet or just staring at the wall, if that's what they want to do.

Because their union contract makes it extremely difficult to fire them, the teachers have been banished by the school system to its "rubber rooms" — off-campus office space where they wait months, even years, for their disciplinary hearings.

The 700 or so teachers can practice yoga, work on their novels, paint portraits of their colleagues — pretty much anything but school work. They have summer vacation just like their classroom colleagues and enjoy weekends and holidays through the school year

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:51 PM on Jun. 23, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I'm from upstate NY and I think that's TOTAL BS. Absolutely ridiculous.
    Anonymous

• I've heard about this. I think it's crazy, too.
    Anonymous

• I've heard of this before. It's almost impossible to fire teachers in NY because of a very strong union. Tax dollars at work, paying people to do nothing!
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 8:02 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• And people wonder why some of us want school vouchers. Thats the wonderful union for ya.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 8:03 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• Wwwwoooowwww.. I have too much of a conscience to take that money if that was me.
    BEXi

Answer by BEXi at 8:22 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• Looks like the union runs the school, not the administration.

bad

dragonfly7271

Answer by dragonfly7271 at 8:38 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• Wow! Those are some great teachers! Isn't it wonderful there is a Labor Union that cares so much about the education of our children.

You know, I am liking unions less and less. Perhaps they have outlived their true usefulness.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 9:12 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• wow first time I heard of this..... how sickening that is to me.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 10:07 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• No wonder there is illiteracy, crime, homelessness, and gangs in new york. How many of them teachers are parents setting an example for their kids? How many parents of kids in New york are even giving a s**t about whether or not teachers are teaching. I'm appalled, I can't afford to further my education, these people wasted all their and their parents' and maybe even federal money going to college to be in our nations' most honorable professions (IMO). I would love to have their job, not to mention the millions of people out of work who would like any job. There are foreign countries who don't even have schools, let alone teachers, who would love the opportunity to learn. Someone needs to do something with all the lazy F***s in this country, like tie a brick to their foot and throw them in the ocean. Wait.. the oceans are polluted with enough garbage! Feed them to the stray pitbulls walking about.
    mumma28

Answer by mumma28 at 10:23 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• Just another example of unions gone bad.
    beadingmom17

Answer by beadingmom17 at 10:32 PM on Jun. 23, 2009