This question is mothers who waited later on to feed their babied solids, and those who did not waite. Why?

Ok ladies, my little dd turned 4 months on Monday. She is in the 80th percentile for her size and is growing quickly. She is actually rather large. The thing I am wondering about is mothers who fed their babies at the exact time the doctor's said it was okay, why did you do that? But mostly I am interested in the mothers who waited to feed their babies. Why did you wait? Did you find it beneficial for the babies health?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:55 PM on Jun. 23, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I think I started giving cereal at 3-4 months or so and mashed regular food when bottles were not enough anymore and he would see me eating and open his mouth probably around 4-6 months and gradually gave him chunkier and more solid the more he was used to eating real food and could chew it up with his gums and few teeth. I don't really remember the ages cause he is almost 4 years but I just did it when he showed signs he was ready and he was doing good with it. I don't think I gave him anything too early that he wasn't ready for. I've heard people saying they started giving their baby cereal in their formula at 2 weeks old so they would keep the baby fuller longer and they would sleep longer! Now that is too early!!

charrenee

Answer by charrenee at 8:11 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• doctors say go ahead and feed babies at 4 months, mainly so they don't have to deal with mothers asking why they can't have them, especially first time moms who want thier babies to hit the next mile stone as soon as possible. 4 months is the EARLIEST, but the recommendation is 6 months to actually start solids (by solids i mean cereal/oatmeal)

my son was in the 95th percentile at birth, and still is. he's 2 now. i started him on cereal at 4 months because the doctor said it was ok, and he was very demanding for food. i kept him on cereal and oatmeal until he was about 6 months, then i mixed baby food in the cereal. he didn't start table food until 9 months. then i started doing my research.

with my dd, i didn't start her on cereal until she was close to 7 months. studies show that if you start babies on solids early, they're more likely to become obese when they're older, and also have more food allergies. -cont-
    Anonymous

• We waited and took it very slow for the fact that my DD has baby acid reflex and up until she was about 5 months old if you didn't know that she had it and it was acting up you would have thought that she was colic. I can remember I would just be crying along with her and feeling so helpless for her cause all we could do was hold her one way and walk back and forth give her gas drops and just hope and pray that it would work and she would feel better.

raemommy

Answer by raemommy at 8:02 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• i didn't start her on baby food until she was about 9 months old, she'll be 11 months in a few days and i recently started her on table food, mainly veggies, and meats.
    i made the mistake of giving my son his first food a fri. NEVER AGAIN i told myself. he's such a picky eater. so my dd only eats veggies, and meats. every now and then i'll throw in a fruit but i want her to like her veggies when she's older, unlike her brother.

I also didn't start her on juice until she was about 9 months, but that's just personal preference
    Anonymous

• We waited until six + months. I looked for my babies cues that they were ready to eat. When they became interested in our eating and started opening and closing their mouths when we would take a bite, then we started.
    My kids were EBF and were all happy with that until after six months.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 8:07 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• The AAP recommends waiting until at least 6 months of age before introducing solids.
    For me, I prefer to watch my baby and not the calendar. I started solids with both of my children when they showed ALL the signs of readiness. For my daughter that was at about 5 months. For my son that was at 9 months.
    Anonymous

• We waited until 6 months because that is what my dr. recommended. My ds was in the 95 percentile from about 2 months on. He was constantly hungry but never showed an interest in eating until 6 months and even then he wasn't to fond of it. Look for their cues like opening their mouth when your eating or reaching for your food.

I gave my dd a french fry when she was about 11 months and she loved it but how at age 7 she would rather have a salad than french fries. I gave my ds a french fry at 12 months and he loves them. Anything potato related he will inhale. He is 4 now and still loves his french fries but also loves broccoli and cauliflower and actually asked for 3rds the other night.
    sadira29

Answer by sadira29 at 8:24 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• I waited, because it wasn't necessary to feed him anything other then my milk. He was thriving and healthy. I had no good reason to introduce solids. I introduced (just a few spoonfuls) some veggies around 7-8 mos (once every few days). He started eating solids on a regular, daily basis in the 11th month.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 10:03 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• DD's pedi approved solids at 4 months, but I waited until *I* felt she was ready to introduce them. I started at 5 months, and she did great.
    Anonymous