tv

do you have cable in your home? I don't and hubby and I have debated on getting it, but we are afraid that it will become an all to convenient hobby to just sit on the couch and veg. What is your opinion?

rhianna1708

Asked by rhianna1708 at 7:56 PM on Jun. 23, 2009 in Just for Fun

• We have cable but we watch so little TV we are thinking about cancelling the contract.. My husband has no interest in sports, I have no interest in soap operas and series, Jon & Kate and that sort of stuff and as that is most of what TV seems to be about, we are wondering why we got it in the first place

Instead of TV we listen to radio, spend time with the children, go out, read books, all better for us as relaxation than watching most TV. programs, let alone the silly commercials.
    janet116

Answer by janet116 at 12:31 AM on Jun. 24, 2009

• We have Satellite. We have like 800 or some odd channels, and I don't watch TV at all. THe DH does sometimes, but not nearly enough for what we pay. It just depends on the people watching it I suppose. If you arent tv people I wouldnt worry about it
    Anonymous

• I used to have cable and now i dont at first i though it was terriable but its nice being able to do more with my son and my husband when he is home from work then just sitting in front of the tv. Before even when we would have friends over we would just watch tv. Now we play games talk and have alot more fun. I like not having it. But thats just me...
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 7:59 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• We have Dish Network here.

It is true with a TV in the house, it will be watched! ;-)

Now, how much is too much is a matter of opinion. Like with any new toy, it will be used a lot in the beginning, but if you have other interests, it will just fit in here and there between those activities after it's in the house awhile.

When we lived elsewhere, our TV reception was by antenna only. We still watched, but not as much as when we got Dish Network.

timelessglass

Answer by timelessglass at 8:00 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• We have comcast. The same could be said of books, video games, movies,internet. If it bothers you, set a timer and when it goes off thats it. Or you could bring in things that you could do while watching tv so its not inactive. Like folding clothes, knitting.
    Glickstein

Answer by Glickstein at 8:04 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• It can sometimes become an addiction. I am trying to get rid of our cable and tv, but am almost scared to. Even though I don't watch it during the day, I, unfortunately, have not learned how to relax at the end of the day without the television. If you don't have it, and have been fine without it, then I personally wouldn't get it? JMO
    bellasrose71008

Answer by bellasrose71008 at 8:24 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• Well, by now if you have a TV,everyone has to have cable or a converible box for your TV to come on. With everything you have to watch and moniter your kids.Now, for some reason,I get so nervous when my DD and grandson get on the computer,I sit right near them to see whats going on.
    lady-t3984

Answer by lady-t3984 at 8:36 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• We have satellite.
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 8:49 PM on Jun. 23, 2009