Are you ever embarressed to tell people your a SAHM

do you feel like people judge you when you say your a SAHM. i'm a SAHM but i work part time and everytime we meet new people or go apply for something and i'm asked what i do and i say "i'm a sahm" i feel low cuz i get these looks like "you should be working". i just wanted to know if anyone felt the same way.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:57 PM on Jun. 23, 2009 in Just for Fun

• No, I actually enjoy telling people that. I can't recall ever getting weird looks but I have gotten comments like, "You're so lucky you're able to do that."
    whittear

Answer by whittear at 8:00 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• eh here and there. I am very blessed to stay home with my son and baby on the way. But sometimes peoples looks make me wish I had kept it to myself. I wouldn't change what I do. Just wish I didn't tell them. But some people are so proud of me. So it all depends. I do want to work again someday. But I want it to be when my kids are on school, so I can focus on a career rather than a job.
    LucasMama08

Answer by LucasMama08 at 8:00 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• Sometimes. Depending on who im telling. My Grandparents for sure are always pushing me to work. I dont like to discuss it with them, but some people I dont mind telling.
    firethearson

Answer by firethearson at 8:00 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• In school. lol not on school.
    LucasMama08

Answer by LucasMama08 at 8:01 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• no. as long as the bills are paid, why does it matter?
    Glickstein

Answer by Glickstein at 8:02 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• Nope, not at all.

Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 8:02 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• I dont like to tell people because i want to be working but because of a medical condition that i have with my heart its verry hard to find a job at all. And when i do tell people i feel low because i feel like i should be working. I know alot of SHAMS feel that what they do is a job but in my opinion its not. My DH trys to say that to me to make me feel better all the time and i always tell him the same thing. Taking care of your kids and cleaning the hosue is not a job thats just something that you need to do. If you were working you wouldnt hire someone to do those things for you...you would find time to do it no matter what it would take. But thats just how i feel. This is the first time i have not been working since i turned 14.
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 8:03 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• I think those looks of "You should be working" are coming from people who are secretly thinking, "Wish I could stay at home!"
    Some people put down those that stay at home because they feel guilty for not doing it themselves, also.

I think sometimes when I tell people I'm a stay at home mom, they think I'm too stupid to hold down a job. It seems they never think to ask what line of work I was in for the years before ds was born!
    (Scientific Glassblower)
    timelessglass

Answer by timelessglass at 8:05 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• im happy to be a sahm hell even my dh's x wife is happy lol ( i have the 2 kids for the summer ) anyways i do understand what your saying about the looks i have gotton them and i hate them but i think to myself they wish they could stay home. yeahh thats it lol. i even have gotton attitude for it and have said well dh makes enough so i can do it and daycare would cost me so much my whole check would go to them. so hunny be happy and be proud..cheers to us all.
    tabbys4

Answer by tabbys4 at 8:07 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• I live in an upper middle class neighborhood, and being a SAHM is par for the course!  Our husband's all have jobs that allow us to be SAHMs, and we wouldn't have it any other way.

Just to clarify, I (and many of my neighborhood friends) also have a Master's Degree and had our own healthy 6 figure careers before we married and had children.  My youngest will be in full-day Kindergarten in the fall, and I will be going back to work mother's hours as a consultant in the field I used to work full-time in...I just took an 8 year hiatus!

Anonymous