90 degree weather with newborn

I have to take my son to a dr appt on thursday in 90 degree weather. He was born on June 18th. How should I dress him for this kind of weather? This is my first child

tjandjenna

Asked by tjandjenna at 8:08 PM on Jun. 23, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Light onesie. I would bring sunscreen and a sun hat if he is going to be in the sun. But if its in the car, you should be fine.
    LucasMama08

Answer by LucasMama08 at 8:09 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• I would say just a onesie. Keep the seat covered with a light blanket while exposed to the sun.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 8:09 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• Thank you :)
    tjandjenna

Answer by tjandjenna at 8:10 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• pedi nurse here.. dont use sunscreen on a newborn way to many chemicals even in the baby ones. just light colored and thin clothes
    preggoinmn

Answer by preggoinmn at 8:26 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• a good rule of thumb for dressing babies year round : put them in one more layer than you have on. So if you have on a tank and shorts, put him in a t-shirt and light pants or a light long sleeve shirt and shorts. Layers are always good because he wont be cold in airconditioning but you can peel some off if he seems warm.
    hannahjoy17

Answer by hannahjoy17 at 9:57 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• It's 100 degrees where I am and one piece of advice I would give is to start the car a few minutes before you want to leave and blast the a/c to cool it down. It will make you both feel better! And I agree with the above posters, a onesie works fine in the heat. Unless you will be outside for longer than just walking to/from the car I wouldn't put on a hat (it will trap in body heat) and I would also skip sunscreen - don't use those chemicals on a newborn if you can avoid it. Just bring a blanket in case the office is cold. Good luck and congrats!
    stepmom929

Answer by stepmom929 at 11:38 PM on Jun. 23, 2009