Why am I gaining?!?!?

I don't know what I'm doing wrong! I've been trying to loose some weight. I've been working out, trying to watch more carefully what I eat, although I suppose there's always room for improvement. I work out (cardio) for 30-40 minutes M-F. And here's pretty much what I eat on a typical day:
Breakfast: Coffee, pinch of sugar
Protein bar (15 g protein/ 7 g fat /210 cal)
Snack: Most of the time is an iced mocha with non-fat milk
Lunch: Protein shake made with protein powder, soy milk, fruit (1/2 cup) and ice, blended. (The protein powder has about 2 g fat/ 90 cals)
Dinner: Small portion of lean protein
about 3/4 cup of veggies (no butter)
and sometimes a side like brown rice.
Anyway, I started working out in May, and have GAINED 6 pounds! And trust me, it's not 'muscle gain'. I had some bloodwork done recently, so I don't think it's thyroid-related or anything either.
WHAT AM I DOING WRONG?!

coffee_chick

Asked by coffee_chick at 8:13 PM on Jun. 23, 2009 in Diet & Fitness

• Muscle weights more then fat..You should be looking at inches lost..More then pounds lost.

Answer by louise2 at 8:18 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• Sounds like your body has gone into survival mode, because of the amount and what you eat plus the workout your bidy is holding onto everything instead of letting it go. Have you tried to eat a normal well balnced meals and snacks plus workout, cutting calories, eating smaller portions and the cardio might work really well for you. Talk to a trainer at the gym and see if they have some pointers for you.

PS muscle weighs more than fat, so if you are gaining muscle you will weigh more, are you clothes fitting better, are you seeing your body trim down etc...Thos might help you evaluate your routine
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 8:21 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• I think that you need to change some things up. First you need to cut the coffee. You can replace it with something that is just as satisfying and healthier for you. For example I drink Spark instead. Instead of protein for breakfast and lunch. You should have a meal replacement and then you can have a protein for a mid-morning and afternoon snack. Your dinner you are on the right track. It sounds like your body is holding on to everything it takes in. You need to get your metabolism going.

Advocare_Mom

Answer by Advocare_Mom at 8:29 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• In order to get to and maintain a healthy weight, you need to have a healthy lifestyle; this has the added bonus of setting a great example for your kids.
    You are already exercising, hopefully for at least 20 min a day at least 3 times a week. Now, drink your water! at least 8 8oz glasses a day. Now, eat your fruits & veggies! 7-8 servings a day, in at least three different colors. Eat your whole grains (loaded with fiber, protein, and lots of energy-giving nutrients), 6-7 servings a day. Cut way back on (or eliminate) meat & dairy. Add beans, lentils & tofu to your diet. You can get free meal plans and recipes from Dr. McDougall, or find his books at your local library: http://www.drmcdougall.com/free.html. Feel free to ask me any questions. -Robin

Answer by rkoloms at 9:22 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• I agree with midnightmoma. Basically, you're not eating enough. Your body is holding on to the fat reserves that you have because you are starving it. You need to eat more calories. Try eating 5-6 small meals all day long to boost your metabolism and stay energized. Good luck!
    HoustonMom22

Answer by HoustonMom22 at 12:13 AM on Jun. 24, 2009

• Drop the mocha & protein bars. Drink 1/2 your body weight of water. Eat more but eat natural like fruits, vegetables, & grains. Nuts, especially almonds, are great snacks for replacing your protein bar. Or if you like hard-boiled eggs, eat one of those instead of a bar. Drink green tea with no sugar instead of your mocha. Add one Activia to your day too. Keep exercising.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:31 AM on Jun. 24, 2009

• take a peek at my blog page.....I've just hit the 100-pound loss mark....and yeah, i agree with everyone else, get rid of the coffee!!!! get rid of the mocha and those crazy protein bars!!!! the shakes are okay....keep refined sugar out of your diet completely and eat a whole lot more veggies and fruits....and you need some milk, but make it skim....and here's the thing, if you don't eat enough, your body will store what you do eat as fat instead of using it as energy....so find out what calorie range you should be eating at and stick to it !!!! eat every 2.5 to 3 hours if you can instead of three meals a day....and KEEP changing up your exercise...never let your body get used to an exercise routine!!!! okay here's my link, have a look and READ.....there's a whole lot more tips than what i could possibly give you as an answer here.....here's the link: http://onmymission.wordpress.com/my-healthier-weight-how-i-did-it/
    FXmomTo3

Answer by FXmomTo3 at 1:12 PM on Jun. 24, 2009