Is redirection/distraction the only form of discipline that works with a six month old?

My daughter has a walker. She's only allowed to walk in it in our living room. Now that she can "explore her world", so to speak, she's obsessed with touching everything. The blinds, the furniture, everything! I caught her tearing up the blinds this afternoon.

At this point, I'm fully aware that she doesn't know what "no" means. Is taking her attention away from what she's doing the only thing I can do right now? As soon as I distract her, she goes right back to whatever she was doing. Augh!

caitxrawks

Asked by caitxrawks at 8:32 PM on Jun. 23, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• The out of reach method is good to..Put every thing out of her reach. As many things as posible that is.She is going to explore,,know matter what you do to try to stop her.

Answer by louise2 at 8:43 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• I would just keep anything that she could make a mess of or break out of her reach otherwise let her touch everything she can. The more she sees, touches, hears, etc. the more she'll learn. My DD loved her walker & did the same thing, I never could open up the fridge door w/o her being there in an instant to get into it!
    Mel30248

Answer by Mel30248 at 8:51 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• at that age she DOES know what no means...unless you've never said it to her before. if she gets into something she's not supposed to, take her away from it, and say no. if she does it again, repeat. if there is a third offense, smack the hand that she did it with. for instance, if she touches an outlet with her left hand, smack her left hand. it may take a little bit, but she'll get it. my son hasn't touched alot since about 7-8 months with this method.
    Anonymous

• At 6 months she is exploring her world. So i totally disagree with anon. Why don't you keep using the distraction method and no combined but also have yes touches. Dr Sears talks about it. yes touches that she can reach and touch and NO touches which you keep out of her reach and if she touches them she gets a firm no and removed from the area. I would never hit a 6 month old even on the hand. She will not understand this and it is nuts
    mummylovebaby

Answer by mummylovebaby at 9:44 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• i'm sorry but Cait i completely AGREE with this anon!! Branson used to pull and tug on the blinds on his changer when he was 6mths. we were so afraid he would pull them down on his head so when he would reach for them i would pop his hand and tell him "no" he learned VERY fast not to touch them anymore. he would start to and all i had to do was say "no" & he didn't touch. 6mths isn't too young to to tell no & pop the hands. discpline needs to start early NOT waiting until they're 2 or 3 or even older to start bc then they end up like my mean ass demon nephews who distroy EVERYTHING in their path, talk back to anyone & everyone, hit, etc. i absolutely can not stand to be around them & REFUSE i mean friggin REFUSE to let Branson be around them bc they are sooo mean. everyone tells me how well behaved B is, well that is why. i have a set of rules & stick to them

Answered at 8:53 PM on Jun. 23, 2009 by: Anonymous
    RAGUmomof2

Answer by RAGUmomof2 at 11:17 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• No does work at the age, or just a loud negative noise. Signs work well too, since children can mimic those before language. You can make up your own, or use no in sign language. Or just clap your hands and say, No no! Point to what you're talking about, and say, We don't touch this. Making a sad face works well too, especially if it's something that breaks.
    Kodeekins

Answer by Kodeekins at 4:23 PM on Jun. 24, 2009