home-schooling mommas, would it be hard on a child if they were home-schooled for 2 years and then they re-entered public school in 5th grade?

I am considering home-schooling my 9 year old because I don't like the school she is currently attending. I know that we will be moving in 2 years to a town with a much better school and then she can then go back to school. Would this be harmful to her?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:34 PM on Jun. 23, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• No, of course not. People take that route all the time. I know lots of people who've homeschooled through elementary/middle grades then sent their child on to public highschool.

She'll go through an adjustment period & be awkward at first trying to make new friends & all --- just like any other child changing schools, but nothing out of the ordinary.
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 8:44 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• Unfortunately there really isn't an easy, apply-to-everyone answer for your question. My children are homeschooled, and I don't feel like it would be very difficult for some of my kids, but I do think it would be very hard for others. You will need to assess your dd's personality, strengths and weaknesses to see how you can best support her through this time. Make sure you communicate with your daughter, so she doesn't feel lost in the "why" of this change. That is so important, especially at this age!
    MamasQuiver

Answer by MamasQuiver at 9:38 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• I used to know a lady that had 6 kids, some were homeschooled all the time, some wanted to go to public school and one of them alternated...one year he'd stay home..the next year he'd go to school. It seemed to work real well for them.
    daisy521

Answer by daisy521 at 10:13 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• That's what we did - the transition was actually really easy. :-)
    MinstrelMommy

Answer by MinstrelMommy at 12:29 AM on Jun. 24, 2009

• I think it really depends on the child. I've had friends whose children thrive in public school after being homeschooled till middle school/high school.
    karen704

Answer by karen704 at 1:19 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• I have a friend who is doing just that. She homeschooled for 2 years, then put her son in private school for a few years. When the private school closed, she homeschooled again for 2 years and he will be starting public high school in the fall.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 7:21 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• Make sure you are aware of the curriculum your child should be mastering. I have had several homeschool students enroll in my class over the years who were very far behind their peers becuase the parents weren't really aware of what was expected. If you keep up the academics, then the social adjustment shouldn't be too bad.

MAUREEN55

Answer by MAUREEN55 at 10:16 PM on Jun. 24, 2009