Questions on UU Church (no bashing please)

I'm not real familiar with the beliefs of the Unitarian Universalist Church. From what I've been able to look up they use teachings from different religions. Part of the Christian teachings involve the bible and Jesus.

My DH and I are both Pagan, he has primary custody of his two boys and their mother and her DH are Christian. Although she used to be Pagan, she is glad that we are still because all four of us agree that the boys should be taught different views and choose their own path later on. So I thought that a UU Church would be a good choice for us.

My question is this, I don't really believe that most of the bible happend and while I acknowledge the Christian god...I don't believe that Jesus exists. I don't want to start going and sit there like a hypocrite, so I'm not really sure what to do.

Any advice?

daisy521

Asked by daisy521 at 8:49 PM on Jun. 23, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• They really don't teach out of the bible. They teach how to celbrate diffrence and how diffrent things cultures adapt and change into other cultures. I think if you went you would like it. I have gone to 3 services and have yet to see a bible there.
    Alanaplus3

Answer by Alanaplus3 at 8:52 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• They're pretty all inclusive so you'll probably be alright.
    MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 9:41 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• Try here -- http://www.religioustolerance.org/u-u.htm  You really just can't go wrong starting with something from religioustolerence.org.  And their page contains other llinks you may want to follow.

I've heard, too, they aren't very bible/Jesus oriented.  Many atheists are comfortable (and welcome in their disbelief) at UU churches. 

Good luck!

roachiesmom

Answer by roachiesmom at 11:52 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• there is no set belief one must follow - UU is more about embracing the diversity than it is about promoting any certain belief over another, so you should be fine. I suggest going to their website and becoming better acquainted with the association.
    =)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 11:59 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• The regular service does not teach from any one religion. They usually have groups that meet regularly to consider, discuss, or just have "fellowship" with those coming to the church with the same base beliefs (Pagan, Christian, Buddhist, etc.). So going to the weekly service should not be an issue at all for you & you might find they have a Pagan group that meets monthly or weekly for you to attend as well if you like.
    nysa00

Answer by nysa00 at 11:42 AM on Jun. 24, 2009

• This is from UUA.org The are the 5 UU principles

•The inherent worth and dignity of every person;
    •Justice, equity and compassion in human relations;
    •Acceptance of one another and encouragement to spiritual growth in our congregations;
    •A free and responsible search for truth and meaning;
    •The right of conscience and the use of the democratic process within our congregations and in society at large;
    •The goal of world community with peace, liberty, and justice for all;
    •Respect for the interdependent web of all existence of which we are a part.
    Unitarian Universalism (UU) draws from many sources:
    Groovy-flor

Answer by Groovy-flor at 11:53 AM on Jun. 24, 2009

• And here are the sources of faith for the UUA:
    •Direct experience of that transcending mystery and wonder, affirmed in all cultures, which moves us to a renewal of the spirit and an openness to the forces which create and uphold life;
    •Words and deeds of prophetic women and men which challenge us to confront powers and structures of evil with justice, compassion, and the transforming power of love;
    •Wisdom from the world's religions which inspires us in our ethical and spiritual life;
    •Jewish and Christian teachings which call us to respond to God's love by loving our neighbors as ourselves;
    •Humanist teachings which counsel us to heed the guidance of reason and the results of science, and warn us against idolatries of the mind and spirit.
    •Spiritual teachings of earth-centered traditions which celebrate the sacred circle of life and instruct us to live in harmony with the rhythms of nature.
    Groovy-flor

• I have never been to a UU church that taught that the Bible was literally true, though the one I attend now teaches truths from the Bible (love you neighbor, turn the other cheek, morality stuff...).

I would give your local fellowship a call and see if you can talk to the pastor. Each congregation is different and you really need to go check it out to get a feel for if it is right for you or not. I have been involved in 3 congregations over my life, one was mainly Christian based, one was mainly Pagan based, and one was mainly humanist, but none of them taught that their way was the only way, and all three drew inspiration from many different religions.

Also check into the CUUPS, the Covenant of Unitarian Universalist Pagans. You may find some kindred spirits there.
    Groovy-flor

Answer by Groovy-flor at 11:56 AM on Jun. 24, 2009

• I went to several different UU churches (we moved a lot) and almost never found one where the people were friendly and kind. I also believe that children need to learn something about the Bible and the UU churches we went to shunned the Bible completely (total of 4 UU churches over 3 years). I wanted the kids to learn something about the Bible so they could make logical arguments against some of the stories... after 3 years they knew nothing about the Bible except what I had taught them and the RE programs actively avoided teaching ow to refute Biblical arguments.

And at none of the churches did I find fellowship and friendship. There were lots of cliques and very high-schooly behavior. Bad mouthing others. Inactivity on social issues. Only 1 UU church was good and it was in CA. All the others were not worth the energy to get up on Sunday morning.
    Anonymous

• they are very eclectic. i like the UU.

they believe in god..angels..all of that. but also believe in the power of earth...paganism in a way...they are very open minded and accept all denominations to their srevices
    moki1984

Answer by moki1984 at 3:51 PM on Jun. 24, 2009