advice anyone??????

My son is almost 6 and has never had a dry night. I know it is not all that uncommon for his age, so while I hate buying pull ups I dont meantion that to him. He is starting to say he is too old for pull ups and seems embarassed. We went to talk to the dr today about it and they recommended the bed wetting alarm. I am so not excited about the idea, but it has the best success rate bla bla bla, and more importantly after talking about it HE wants it. He was acctually upset that we couldnt get it tonight. I went to the website she told me to to order it and discovered, they dont take insurance and it costs over $100. I wrote a bad check for groceries today hoping it wont clear till fri. My car needs a new engine ect....
Needless to say I do not have $100 that I can spend on it. Anyone have any advice or experience that could help me help him? I tried limiting fluids at night, it didnt work.
THANKS

mommymeg03

Asked by mommymeg03 at 9:03 PM on Jun. 23, 2009 in General Parenting

• hmm, my dd is almost 3 and still wears a pull up to bed, she has been dry for a week now but i make her go potty b4 she goes to bed, yes, MAKE her, even if she says she dosen't have to pee, i tell her to sit on the potty just in case...i give her a cup of milk b4 she goes to bed and she's still dry so it's not the fluids.... what is he drinking close to bed time? also, just get a regular alarm clock or something & set it for every hour or so & see if he has to pee then.. i really dunno what to tell you but i hope something works for him :)
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 9:07 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• I know my husband had problems with that same thing until he was 7 or so. His mom got the bed wetting alert thing and it did wonders for him. I'm sorry money is tight. Do you have family, or a close friend that could loan you the money, and pay them back a few bucks here and there?
    Anonymous

• BUY AN ALARM CLOCK and set it for a specific time each night... tell him that when it goes off he needs to get up and use the bathroom... or put one in your room too for the same time and help him make it to the bathroom for the first couple weeks...
    It's a heck of alot cheaper and makes just as much sense. Have you been buying him those pull ups that are for bigger kids that aren't as noticeable? Those might help him as well... or you can take him out of them all together and put him in underwear and lay a towel or two down for him to lay on at night while you're doing the alarm clock technique...
    momofkearra

Answer by momofkearra at 9:09 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• I would go with the pullups then. My friends son is 11 and wears pullups at night. He has bladder issues and has no choice. The alarm didn't work for him. His urologist said that he should outgrow it once he is in puberty.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:09 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• He wears the "big kid" pull ups. But he says he is too old. lol
    Maybe i will try to alarm clock thing. i can buy one of those for $10 at walmart.
    I will talk to him about it again tomorrow.
    I would have never let him be in onthe alarm convo if I knew it owuld cost so much.
    And yes, I MAKE him go to the bathroom right before he goes to bed.
    Thanks
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 9:21 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• OH- and reg borrowing the $$, lol I wish, but I am currently trying to figure out if I can get anyone to help me with car that is DYING.
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 9:23 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• I don't know how to help u, but take whatever advice u can because I once dated a guy who's mother used the wait and see approach, and needless to say, he never grew out of it!
    Anonymous

• If the alarm clock doesn't work I would consider having a garage sale or selling something your not using on craigslist. I know money is tight but pull ups are expensive and to have to keep buying them doesn't make sense. You would be suprised what people will buy. I found a guy who buys old monitors for 10 bucks then fixes them and donates them. He does it with old computers too. Who knows, sell enough stuff and maybe get some money towards your car repair. Also google bedwetting alarms. I'm not sure if they work as good but they have some on the less expensive end ($40) Good luck!
    sadira29

Answer by sadira29 at 12:39 AM on Jun. 24, 2009

• When my oldest was potty training, I would get up at night and take her to the bathroom. Liek around 2-3 in the morning. After a while, all I had to say was, "let got o the bathroom", and she would get up, sit on the potty, and pee. Then she would go back to bed. I would of course go with her, and stay with her in the bathroom, sometimes she would be half asleep sitting there, but she always went, and didn't have problems falling asleep again after.
    Now, I don't know if this would work for your son. My daughter didn't have a problem with bedwetting, I just did this when she was ready to be out of pull ups at night. She was 4 at the time. But I guess it's worth a try, if you haven't already tried it.
    LilyandEmmasMom

Answer by LilyandEmmasMom at 12:32 PM on Jun. 24, 2009