Can you help someone understand what's severe Autism and what's mild Autism. Thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:20 PM on Jun. 23, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Severe is usually classic Autism, when happy or upset the child may stim to deal with situations, rock, spin in circles, flap hands, scream, etc. Classic Autism can have varying degrees, but normally the child is non-verbal or extremely delayed in language skills & also in social skills, especially eye contact with others. Asperger's Syndrome is high functioning Autism and what our son has, he is delayed in Math, has some sensory issues, difficulty with social skills & eye contact. He had much difficulty in school because he seemed so NORMAL, most of his teachers were unfair and unkind...

In 2007 1 in 150 kids had Autism /1 in 94 boys. Autism is more prevalent in boys.

The new statistics are:

* US: 1 in 67 children has Autism [source]

* US: 1 in 6 children suffers a developmental disorder [source]

* 84% of children receiving EI services are born in New Jersey [source]

* UK: 1 in 38 boys has Autism [sou
    agentwanda

Answer by agentwanda at 12:12 AM on Jun. 24, 2009

• Autism is on a spectrum of what is commonly known as the Pervasive Developmental disorders. A milder form of Autism is called Asperger syndrome. A child living with Asperger's syndrome usually does not have the ability to sympathize or reciprocate feelings. Example: an older brother may not feel bad that his younger sister got hit by a car and is in critical condition. He may feel happy (not that his sister was sick) that he is getting presents and attention from relatives. One child I know told his grandfather he couldn't wait for him to die because his mom said when he died they were going to throw a party. Mom didn't mean it, she was stressed. But these kids don't know how to do social skills. They are typically very academically oriented but lack most appropriate social skills without serious interventions. Where a child falls on the autism spectrum (the continuum) just depends on the signs/symptoms that child

frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 9:52 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• is displaying. A "typical" child living with autism may have (but not always) speach issues, trouble with connecting to people (particularly family), get fascinated by parts of objects but not the entire object, and may have sensory issues. It just depends on the child. A diagnosis can sometimes be difficult to determine and time will help rule out other possible issues. Usually behavior therapy, occupational, and speech therapy tend to be interventions commonly used as well as a psychotherapist for the entire family because of the stress that families experience. There are many books at the library on this very subject if you want to learn more.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 9:56 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• My son has moderate autism. He can not talk yet or interact with other kids.. He is bad at eye contact and has no sence of danger. He has serious behavior issues that cause havok on daily life. He is a sweet and smart boy though. We are lucky that he loves physical interaction (wrestling , kissing, cuddling) because alot of kids on the spectrum do not.
    Anonymous

• My son has a form of autism but not "rated" yet professionally, I would call it mild.
    Even though he flaps his arms and hands, he does has some eye contact. He is going to be 4 in November but doesn't put together 2 words or more. He will say "cup" or "night night" but nothing more complicated than that.
    IMO severe autism children would not be able to communicate. They would be staring at objects for periods of time. My child does like to go thru phonebooks, he use to do this for up to an hour at a time, we were told to limit his time doing this to make sure he remembers to interact with people.
    army_wife2000

Answer by army_wife2000 at 11:22 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• My son is a high functioning autistic. He hugs, he kisses, he tells us he loves us. He has the speech delay and the constant cartoons that go in his head (he jibber jabbers to himself).
    My Husbands 17 year old cousin is SEVERELY autistic. He will never be able to live alone. He just recently was potty trained, he does not speak he makes noises, he does hug but he is also violent, he does the common shaking of the hands, rocking and so on. I feel so bad for my Husbands Aunt. You can really see where taking care of her son has aged her. He has even been known to hit her while she is driving. I worry about her so much.
    kc932

Answer by kc932 at 12:10 AM on Jun. 24, 2009

• links for my 12:12 comment :

http://web.archive.org/web/20071223152720/www.vaproject.org/yazbak/1-in-150-is-really-1-in-67-20071005.htm

http://web.archive.org/web/20071013142518/www.vaproject.org/statistics/Star-Ledger-one-in-94.htm

http://childhealthsafety.wordpress.com/2009/03/21/autism-rates-rocket/

agentwanda

Answer by agentwanda at 12:23 AM on Jun. 24, 2009

• My 7 yo was recently reclassified as having Asperger's, which for us is good news, as we have spent endless amounts of time and money over the past 5+ years on all kinds of therapeutic interventions. He will spend 80% of his day in a REGULAR ED classroom in the fall. He is hyperlexic--can read, write, spell, but has difficulty comprehending. Didn't speak until age 4, now speaks on a 5-6 year old level. Massive temper tantrums WAS his nemesis. He was born in NJ.

My 5 year old is still classified as mildly autistic, but he is just beginning full-day Kindergarten in the fall after 3 1/2 years of Early Intervention, speech therapy and having attended preschool's for developmentally delayed and typically developing children. He will spend 80% of his day in a REGULAR ED classroom! He too is hyperlexic. Has difficulty with speech--didn't talk until he was 4--but currently speaks at a 2 1/2 year old level. He was born in PA.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 8:59 AM on Jun. 24, 2009