Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

another custody question?

okay..I'm now a single mom to my three year old son and expecting another one this september. Their father was diagnosed with bipolar disorder a couple years ago. He was seeking help at the time but was constantly in and out of the hospital. Earlier this year his symptoms came back and he refused to seek help so we seperated. We were never married. I dont believe that the father of my children is fit to be their father. He doesnt always want to seek help and when he does he does not always take his medications. His mental illness has tremendously affected my son and I. He has become irresponsible, irrational, and his actions/behavior has rubbed off on my three year old. I no longer believe he's fit to be a father/role model to my children. I want to seek full custody of both of my children and no visitation to their father. What should I do?

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 9:21 PM on Jun. 23, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

Answers (4)
  • If he has so many problems & is unfit, why would you have another child with this man...much less lay with him? You should seek full custody & allow him to see his children under supervised visits...only if he's taking his medications & is in a good mental state. You can set your own limitations & try to make them legal terms when you go to the court. A judge should grant you that request. Good luck.

    Answer by Anonymous at 9:33 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

  • Do your homework get proof of his medical problems and his hospital stays and make sure you tell the judge about him not taking his medication and about his behavior You shouldnt have a problem getting full custody and him supervised visitation

    Answer by heavenlypeace at 10:13 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

  • its really hard to get full custody b/c their dad is bi polar my ex tried that card when we seperated last year...he has to be proven to be harmful to the child and not complient with his meds and therpy. if he has threaten u and the child and has physically harmed u u can get a pfa against him for u and the child intill u go in fornt of a judge and present ur case. thats what i had to do to keep my ex away from my dd intill things settled down

    Answer by rainmommy at 1:47 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

  • just don't be bother with him and don't allowed him around your children just stay and wait and see if he take matters to court then deal with the situation

    Answer by lovejoy at 2:29 PM on Jun. 28, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.