From the idea to the reality, how long did it take you?

From the first time you thought divorce might be in your future to the time that you actually became seperated for good, how long was the time in between?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:30 PM on Jun. 23, 2009 in Relationships

• too long i should of divorced him when he developed a drug problem/. i stayed for the kids many many yrs and regret it. i would have to say about 3 yrs. i was married and divorced in 3 yrs and knew 3 wks in into our marriage that he was doing the crap.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 9:40 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• About 10 or 11 years. @@ I'll never get those years back...but at least I'm happy now.
    Anonymous

• was married 11 years and wanted out about the last 6 years but like a lot of women I stayed for the kids BIG mistake
    heavenlypeace

Answer by heavenlypeace at 9:55 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• I was married for almost 10 years. 7 years into the marriage he started his drug problems. Over another year to year and a half it just got worse...then I found out he was having sex with his supplier to pay for his pills. Then one day the sheriff came to my door with an eviction notice. We hadn't slept in the same bed in months and hadn't had sex in almost a year....Like all the other posters I stayed for my son...my husband mistreated me verbally and emotionally. Somedays I think if he had of just hit me it would have been easier to walk out. I have a new life now. A great hubby, 3 year old twins, and I am HAPPY!!!
    t_06_twins

Answer by t_06_twins at 10:15 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• Realized I wanted out, but took me 6 months to leave. He was a mean, mean person. My baby was only 6 months old when I left, and the next year of our lives, he put us through h ----. Still does and it's been 14 years, and when he remarried, he signed away his rights to his daughter. My husband adopted her and has raised her as his own. Now, ex tries to contact her and cause her trouble. Some men are just mean, selfish jerks no matter how you look at it. They'll never change. Especially when they are constantly told by their MOTHER that they're perfect and could never do anything wrong..... UGH!!!!
    lighthousemom3

Answer by lighthousemom3 at 10:31 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• I stayed for 2 1/2 years after I learned he was cheating. He swore he would stop but never did. From the time we first said the word divorce until when I finally left, it was about 6 months. I was so overwhelmed at what I would need to do to end things that I couldn't do anything. I would never put my kids through that again. No kids should have to ask why Mom sleeps on the couch.
    funnyface1204

Answer by funnyface1204 at 10:49 PM on Jun. 23, 2009