when is she supposed to......

my dd will be 12 weeks old on sunday, and I was wondering when the "average" time is for her to roll over, it looks like she's starting to try but hasn't yet. also, it looks like she wants to try to sit up, like she does mini crunches almost. I bought a bumbo seat, but is she too young for all that yet?

clransom

Asked by clransom at 10:00 PM on Jun. 23, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I got Anthony bumpo at 3 months he loved sitting up and thats why I got it he had really good head control so I was guessing he could handle it. I love it and I still put him in it. He started rolling over at about 13 weeks and now at 16 weeks I can't keep him on his back! I even wake up to find him sleeping on his tummy it makes me nervous.
    dmariem8

Answer by dmariem8 at 10:13 AM on Jun. 24, 2009

• IMO....the time is now for that bumbo seat. My dd loved hers until she started sittin up unsupported. prop her up on some pillows or blankets for a little while and see how she does. My dd was sittin and wanting to stand since she was like 3 weeks old. However she was holding her head up and rolling both ways the day she was born.....(not perfectly of course)....
    TNT8687

Answer by TNT8687 at 10:16 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• With the bumbo seat, it is just trial and error. If she sits in it and holds her head up well then go for it. At first my daughter could only stand it for about a minute. Rolling over, anytime between 3-6 months is average, could be earlier could be later. My daughter would act like she was getting ready to do it and get close at 8 weeks but then she didnt do it till she was 13 weeks (and has not stopped since). Sitting up, I think anytime from 3-6 months also, sometimes earlier sometimes later. When my daughter went through physical therapy the PT told us that sitting up with support of hands usually will happen when she can push up onto her hands when on her tummy. My daughter just started sitting up with support of her arms and hands this week and she just turned 16 weeks. Every baby is different, just keep working with her and she will get it.
    vickwu

Answer by vickwu at 10:19 PM on Jun. 23, 2009