Babys first shots?

My babys appt. for his first shots are next week. I am really nervous and not looking foward to this. What are some things to expect? How did your baby react?
First time mom here. Thanks ladies!

Chas21

Asked by Chas21 at 10:04 PM on Jun. 23, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• She cried, I cried, we both cried (I think I cried harder). She was fine after a minute. Just make sure the nurse rubs the spots for a few minutes to ease the pain. Good Luck and its a rough appointment, not going to lie to you.
    vickwu

Answer by vickwu at 10:14 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• I don't know... we have postponed outs and plan to spread them out a lot more than what the docs schedule reccomends. GL though! I know I will find it so hard when the time comes
    mummylovebaby

Answer by mummylovebaby at 10:37 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• Daddy held her, mommy cried. Baby....whimpered for about 30 seconds. And it was over. I personally think they do better if they are held while they get them. Some nurses will put them on the table and do it. Insist that you hold her! It will make it so much easier on her. Trust me....the first is DEF the lesser evil of all the rest! They just get worse as the months pile up!
    TNT8687

Answer by TNT8687 at 10:39 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• TNT8687- I dont want to hear that. My daughter goes in for round 2 on friday. I thought it would be easier. Looks like I need to start preparing myself a little more.
    vickwu

Answer by vickwu at 11:07 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• The first shots are not as bad as later shots because the baby has no idea so doesn't dread it and doesn't dwell on it. It is worse as they get older, honestly! But, remember, it is for their own good and it isn't a bad thing. My kids never had any problems afterwards..... Good luck!
    BJoan

Answer by BJoan at 10:50 AM on Jun. 24, 2009

• Mine cried for about 3 seconds and was done with. I have actually heard that if you nurse while they give the shots is should ease the pain, but I have never tried it, so I don't know. If you nurse, you could try that?
    It does get worse as they get older, becasue they start to realise what is happening to them. I now, because my oldest one acts like they are ripping her arm off every time she sees a needle. But, like others said, it is for their own good, and they will be fine.
    LilyandEmmasMom

Answer by LilyandEmmasMom at 2:38 PM on Jun. 24, 2009