Getting blood drawn for lead test

My 18-month old has to have blood drawn for a lead test. Due to the nature of the test, it has to be taken from the arm and not a finger prick. I'm terrified even though I know he'll be fine an hr later. How bad is it to do this at this age? I can't even see a vein in his little arm.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:20 PM on Jun. 23, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My daughter's pedi had me have this test done around 12 months.. she seemed to handle it better then any other blood work she has ever had done.. but the people at the lab I go to were awesome with her.. I think that helped :-) Your little one will be fine! I was stressed more then she was about it lol
    Skye-Angel

Answer by Skye-Angel at 10:27 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• omg girl don't even worry BUT make sure the person that is doing it knows how i was just like you and my daughter was 16 or17 months the first time i took her i was so scared and i went really bad the stupid nurse that did it had no idea what she was doing she sticks the needle in her Lil arm and just moved the needle inside her arm around and around for about 10 sec until i look and told her off i was so freaking pissed off and still after all that pain she took not one drop of blood out... i talked to my doctor about this and they sent me to a different place which was much better and not as bad...in 5 min they had everything they need and my baby didn't even cry....but just make sure you tell the person who is doing that if they see her vein to do it and if they don't that you'll just wait a lil long... good luck
    Anonymous

• I really think a lot of it has to do with the tech drawing the blood. My boys were pretty good, they struggled a little just because they didn't like being held in one place the way they were but it was pretty quick and didn't hurt too bad, they didn't cry much at all. With my dd...it was awful. I really think it was the girl's first week or something, she poked my dd several times on the first side and finally had to try the other arm and poked her I think twice in that one before finding the vein. Even with all of that though, my dd didn't cry for long afterward. So it's not pleasant for you or your little one, but it's usually quick and the pain doesn't seem to last long, so try not to get too nervous about it, keep in mind that babies can sense it when you are tense.
    whittear

Answer by whittear at 10:34 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• just had this done with mine he'll b fine he might start to cry just sit him on ur lap and hold one hand in urs and as soon as u feel him tighten up tell him its ok its almost over and so on dont freak out urself itll only make it worse for him once the blood starts going in the tube tell him to watch it for some weird reaason kids like that hell im an adult and still do (giggle) itll b fine hope everything turns out ok for him
    cocobutt2002

Answer by cocobutt2002 at 11:08 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• My son's heel prick at one year was high so they ordered a veinous draw. He sat on my lap and one girl held his arm while the other used a butterfly needle to take the blood. Once the needle is in it really isn't bad. He had to have it drawn every month for 6 months and then every 2 months for another 6 months. It wasn't until the last 2 draws that he was really bad getting it done.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 7:37 AM on Jun. 24, 2009

• My daughter got it done at a year and was not happy. She was running around the place all happy go lucky and then the lady came and we sat down and my dd realized something was up. She freaked when the needle got close and was soo mad at me! She wouldn't even look at the lady when we left and when I dropped her off at day care, she jumped to her teacher and wouldn't look at me. :( She was fine when I picked her up though.

Then at 2, we went back to the same place for another blood draw. Well, she remembered! When we went in, she keep asking for grandma! :) We went back in the same room and she was very quiet. When the guy came in she kinda pouted until she saw he was just pricking her finger. Then she was as happy as could be! Left smiling and with stickers. It's amazing what they remember!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:11 AM on Jun. 24, 2009