Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Should I file??

My ex-boyfriend and I split up recently and we have a small child together. We have been trying to split everything between the two of us financially and time-wise. He works most of the time so I have our son most of the time. He still lives at home with his parents and has a lot of help from them. I also live with my parents but I don't have as much help... We really don't want to take any of this to court or legal matters but I have been having a hard time cooperating with his father. We separated so we could still be civil for the little guy. Now he feels that I'm taking over and he never gets the baby. When really, he's working so many different shifts that he can't take him for more than a night without relying on his mom to take the baby. Should I file for Child Support and at least partial custody?

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 10:41 PM on Jun. 23, 2009 in Relationships

Answers (5)
  • I would say yes. You have given it an honest try to work things out in a civil manner & it sounds like it isn't working. If your ex BF isn't going to help you, you need to have things spelled out legally so he will help. And strange as it sounds, having things in writing may help with the visitation issue. There will be a plan that can be followed. You can also write into your CO that if he cannot keep the baby for a certain amount of time (mine is 4 hours), then the baby has to be returned to you & he losing his visitation time. I wrote this into my CO to prevent my ex DH from dropping the kids with his mom all the time. Good luck! Feel free to PM me if you need to talk.

    Answer by funnyface1204 at 10:47 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

  • Ummm...DUH
    Yes. I know ALOT of single mom's out there who don't and they can but they are afraid to. But YES, FILE! I mean don't be a total bitch about it if you can help it. But if he asks, Just say,"Listen bub(or whatever his name is), I had to do this for our child....etc..."

    Does he buy your child(ren) diapers, clothes, help pay for education, etc...?

    I wish you the best of luck girl and remember you can catch more flies with manure as oppose to honey. And try to be as civil as possible.

    Answer by Starfire73 at 11:44 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

  • PS Sorry for the "DUH" part.

    Answer by Starfire73 at 11:54 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

  • my guess is yes

    Answer by Hyde3 at 11:58 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

  • What is the problem with his mom helping out? Because you don't get that kind of help from your family? As long as your child is well cared for by his family his time should still be his. It's up to him to decide how that time is spent. Grandparents are just as important as parents.

    Beyond that you seem like you are trying to do this without court. You can try a mediator. You will still get things in writing, you will still get equal amounts of time with your child, and the money will be figured out. If it doesn't work you can still go to a judge.


    Answer by Chrissy629 at 7:20 AM on Jun. 24, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.