What are the chances that I will get child support from my ex-husband?

We got divorced 7 years ago and i never asked for child support until a couple months ago. I have been unemployed for over 2 years and have 2 boys (14 & 8 years old) from my ex-husband who is now remarried. I have been trying to find a job, but it's been difficult and I get some support from my parents and boyfriend. He doesn't want to pay child support and now wants full custody. Our divorce agreement states joint custody and it's been smooth sailing most of the time until my CS request. He currently is financially stable, but do I have a risk of losing custody, let alone get any child support since i'm unemployed? please help.

chynabbdoll79

Asked by chynabbdoll79 at 10:44 PM on Jun. 23, 2009 in General Parenting

• You wont lose your children. If he has had joint custody & is involved in your childrens life, I would give him the option to help you out for the time being & if he refuses to do so, you will have no other option but to take him to court. Usually you & your lawyer can take him to mediation & come up with an agreement without the court making the decision. If you have to take him & you have provided for these children throughout this entire time, They are not going to take your children away. You have been the stability in their life & if your not a abusive parent, You have no worries. As for your ex~He should really take a part in this. Good luck!
    onespecialmom

Answer by onespecialmom at 11:51 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• My suggestion to you would be to talk to an attorney who specializes in such matters.
    I honestly don't know the answer to your question...
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 10:49 PM on Jun. 23, 2009