Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Can a father sign over his parental rights with out someone else to take over?

And if he can will he still be responsible for CS and arears? What if both parents agree?

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 10:50 PM on Jun. 23, 2009 in General Parenting

Answers (8)
  • If he signs over rights it's like he was never the father. So no child support and I don't think you have to have someone else as a father.

    Answer by sarapurser at 11:01 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

  • I think it varies by state. In NC I think that once he signs the BC the only way he can sign over his rights is if someone else is willing to step in, even if the person who is on the BC is NOT the father. The state doesn't want to run risking to have to pay for a child if the father waives his rights and the mother ends up needing help.

    Answer by Mommy2Justice at 11:12 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

  • Most states will not allow a parent to sign over rights unless someone else is willing to adopt the child but it does vary by state, you'll have to look into your state laws. IF he can sign away his rights he will no longer be responsible for any sort of child support.

    Answer by Chandra034 at 11:17 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

  • chandra's right abou that i checked with a lawyer once and he told me someone has to adopt my son (like a stepdad) for the bio father to sign away his rights. B.F. was pissed but once in a while i get child support, it's nice to have. I'm from Michigan

    Answer by mumma28 at 11:38 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

  • My daughter boyfriend surrenderd his parental right 10 months after their child was born. He was on the B.C. There was nobody else to step in. This was in CA 11 years ago. She has raised him as a single Mom ever since.

    Answer by Anonymous at 11:50 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

  • As far as I know (in NYS at least) A parent can sign away their parental rights at any time, however their parental responsibilities can NOT be signed over unless there is another party to take responsibility. As the judge told me.......... A parent is not allowed to for a variety of reasons. A child must be supported by two parents it is the right of the child. If a parent wins the lotto etc the child is entitled to a percentage, if a parent goes on SSI or dies the child is entitled to a percentage. If one parent dies (even if it is the custodial and the noncustodial signed away their rights) the living parent is responsible for supporting the child as the state can not afford to care for such cases.... he listed many more reasons.... Among them being men who are careless and have 10 + kids would just keep signing away their rights and all those children would be at a disadvantage because he was allowed to be a dead beat.

    Answer by Anonymous at 12:08 AM on Jun. 24, 2009

  • anon :50 do you know if he was still responsible for cs afterwards?

    Answer by Anonymous at 12:25 AM on Jun. 24, 2009

  • I know in MD and CO if he signs away the rights he still has to pay unless someone else takes over financial responsability. But if he wants to sign away rights and not have to pay it has to say that in the paperwork if the paperwork doesnt specifically say he gives up financial responsability then he will have to pay.

    Answer by Alie1313 at 12:46 AM on Jun. 24, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.