How often should I pump?

Im a stay at home mom, my son is 7 weeks old. I am excluivly breastfeeding, doing very well, but I want to start pumping, for if I go out, and to get use to it if I go back to work, but I dont know how often to pump.

joshsmomma77

Asked by joshsmomma77 at 10:57 PM on Jun. 23, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• 2-3hours
    EthansMommy5

Answer by EthansMommy5 at 11:00 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• you can do it between feedings, that will also have you produce more milk than you do now. also, if your child sleeps through a feeding, or isn't hungry when you're feeling engorged.
    Anonymous

• You can pump right after a feeding or in between but it will also signal your body to produce more. I wish you luck. I pumped exclusively for 7 months.
    coala

Answer by coala at 11:54 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• I would suggest pumping the other side immediately after you feed on one side, if your baby only uses one side, otherwise, at least an hour or two before you expect the next feeding to be, only on the side you plan to offer second.
    tyrelsmom

Answer by tyrelsmom at 11:59 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• I really wasnt able to pump with either of my kiddos until they slept through the night. I get up before my LO and am pretty engorged so i pump then and usually end up with 5-6 oz. He eats so much throughout the day that it isnt worth the hassle for the half oz i might end up with. But with your milk supply still settling out now is the time to pump and build up your suppply if you want to.Good luck!
    hannahjoy17

Answer by hannahjoy17 at 12:51 AM on Jun. 24, 2009

• You don't NEED to pump at all. But you CAN pump one side while nursing the other in the first nursing of the day. No, it does NOT short the baby. It increases supply.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:55 AM on Jun. 24, 2009