What is up with the people that bring their dogs everywhere?

I see it all the time: someone with a dog (not a guide dog) in a store that has nothing to do with dogs like Petsmart. Just today I was at a grocery store (that had a no dogs allowed sign out front) and a lady had a lap dog in her cart. The dog wasn't a guide dog, just a little yip-yap dog.
When I was younger I worked in two different stores, one in a mall, and people brought their dogs in all the time. Many times me or someone I worked with had to go clean up dog pee or/and poop because of a customer's dog. Even though both stores I worked at had a no animal policy (other than guide dogs) the managers were all too chicken to enforce it.
So why do people do this? Why would they want to bring a dog into a store that doesn't allow them?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:58 PM on Jun. 23, 2009 in Pets

• I don't know, but my SO's company just recently issued a dress code so that people would stop bringing their little dogs in purses to work.
    Anonymous

• sorry I really have a "pet peeve" about dogs brought in to places of business other than "pet" stores. to me its just naughty manners.leave dogie at home.

tyme4me2day

Answer by tyme4me2day at 11:33 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• I bring my dogs to places like target and walmart... I try and bring them with me where ever I go. If I was told that they werent allowed, of course I wouldnt but why not bring them to places that dont mind it?
    Dont people bring their children with them to places that have nothing to do with kids?
    youngfirsttimer

Answer by youngfirsttimer at 12:05 AM on Jun. 24, 2009

• It might have been a service dog....they have companion dogs for people who need them to stay calm in normal life.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 1:04 AM on Jun. 24, 2009

• Dont people bring their children with them to places that have nothing to do with kids?

So you are saying that dogs are the equivalent of kids? I have NEVER had my kids pee or poo in the middle of a store! Dogs are dogs, kids are kids they are NOT the same. MOST stores have signs out front that say no pets other than service animals, yes even Walmart and Target. People are probably too afraid to let you know that your dog is not allowed to say anything.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:58 AM on Jun. 24, 2009

• I hate that to and they do it for the attention!! I'm with you in that the places of business are so desperate for that god all mighty dollar they will not enforce their policies when it comes to this BS!! I'm waiting to read about the case where a dog bit someone that was in a store like this then all hell will break lose and  management will deny they knew about that this was going all the time!!

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:00 AM on Jun. 24, 2009

• Ok, yeah I have to kinda agree with this. My Target store has a sign right on the front doors that say, Service Animals Only. And yet, I saw a lady pushing 2 little yappy dogs around the store in a baby stroller....yeah and everyone including employess just thought it was cutest thing ever. If I put my dog (pit bull) in a baby stroller (a big stroller lol) and pushed her around, I think someone would have something to say about it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:17 AM on Jun. 24, 2009

• i hate seeing that to..im a dog/animal lover, i have 3 dogs, but i would NEVER bring them into a store other than a petstore..i mean it doesnt even have to do with the signs that say no dogs, or the health code or whatever, it has to do with respect to others!! people are allergic to animals..that would be like bringing a peanut butter sandwich into a public school..(if there were ppl allergic) ya just dont risk that chance!!!!!
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 2:41 AM on Jun. 24, 2009

• ""I bring my dogs to places like target and walmart... I try and bring them with me where ever I go. If I was told that they werent allowed, of course I wouldnt but why not bring them to places that dont mind it?""

You are NOT supposed to do this. Animals are not allowed in stores because they are unsanitary and most owners don't clean up after them. Plus, many many people have allergies which you are triggering by sneaking your pet into the store!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:31 AM on Jun. 24, 2009

• That aggravates the hell out of me too. The Walmarts and Targets around here have a sign in the front that says service animals only. Its unsanitary to bring something that runs around and rolls around in its BM's into a grocery store. People have allergies to dogs. Who cares... right?? I mean it doesn't affect you at all since you don't have the allergies. I think its rude.. and it shows peoples ignorance if they can't read a sign that's in front of your face while your walking into a store
    starmoonlight

Answer by starmoonlight at 10:11 AM on Jun. 24, 2009