How can I teach a 7 year old to wipe bottom better?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:08 PM on Jun. 23, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Honestly, I'd just go over it again and again and suggest something like using several wipes till the TP is clean after wiping. Just retrain as it's better they learn now than have an issue next year in school.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 11:30 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• I did just about the same that jeanclaudi did from above. I have my son wipe downward while sitting on the toilet. (some kids try to wipe standing up) I tell him that he should wipe & fold until he gets most of it & then he will follow it with a baby wipe just to make sure that he got it all. I usually just stand in & supervise when he needs me. He now wants to "make sure" that he's clean before he pulls his pants up. Ha! It takes time but they will finally get the hang of it. Good luck!
    onespecialmom

Answer by onespecialmom at 11:36 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• What the first mom said, and then, if it still continues to be a problem because he doesn't take the time to do it properly, he's gonna need to be taught to wash the streak marks out of his underware himself. At 7, one re-teach is all it should take. I make even my 5yo wash streak marks out himself if he doesn't take the time to wipe properly. Yuck.
    3gifts.from.god

Answer by 3gifts.from.god at 2:24 AM on Jun. 24, 2009

• you coudl try some of the flushable wet wipes also.they clean better.my daughter got terrible rashes from not wiping good.so we went to these for a while , until she grasped the concept of wiping better.if those cost to much or are not an option, use a wet cloth.simply tell her to wipe until the rag, or buy them a box of tissue rather than a roll, they are softer and the child might be able to use them easier.good luck.
    Kiki_pie

Answer by Kiki_pie at 8:47 AM on Jun. 24, 2009

• yep flushable wet wipes will do the trick
    justgrape723

Answer by justgrape723 at 8:59 AM on Jun. 24, 2009

• I have my son use wet wipes and I just tell him to keep wiping till he is clean. I do not have him flush them because they can clog even though they say flush-able.

Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 9:05 AM on Jun. 24, 2009

• My 9 year old son does not get the cocept of wiping. Every night he gets a bath he has dryed up poop in his underwear. He does have some medical problems. I think i will try the wet wipes to see if that will help.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:42 AM on Jun. 24, 2009

• When my kids were learning to wipe, I gave them the flushable wet wipes and had them put their left hand on the floor and wipe between the legs with the right hand. Bent over like that, they can actually get in between the butt cheeks and get really clean.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 12:41 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• buy flushable wipes it will feel better on their butt w/ the excessive wiping
    scooterpooter

Answer by scooterpooter at 5:03 PM on Jun. 25, 2009