The stress that is my 8-month-old's feeding schedule. Help!

My daughter's feeding schedule is stressing me out! She had a period where she lost a little weight, so for the past 3 weeks I've been porking her up (per the advice of our pediatrician). We got her back up the 25th percentile from the 3rd (14 lbs 1 oz to 16 lbs 15 oz), and now that she is back in the normal range I don't know how much to feed her. I was nursing every 2 hours and giving her 6 tablespoons of cereal (mixed with 4 oz of breastmilk) and 4 oz of fruits or veggies each day. I know most babies eat every 4-5 hours by now, but I'm nervous to go anymore then 3 hours because I don't want her to lose weight again. To make matters difficult, my daughter NEVER cries for food (as in NEVER). If I wait for her cues, she won't eat, thus I feed her based on time intervals. I'm tired of trying to figure out if she should be eating more, if she's hungry, ect. Help!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:38 PM on Jun. 23, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Nurse on demand, solids after every nursing session. Never before or separately! Too many solids can actually cause weight loss because the solids are not as caloric as your milk. breastmilk is the main meal all the way to the first birthday.

Please google "look at the baby not the scale' for an article that will really reassure you. Weight is a minor marker...look for the milestones.

And BTW...percentiles are MEANINGLESS for a breastfed baby. Pay no mind to them.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:53 AM on Jun. 24, 2009

• At this stage of the game she should be eating more food and taking in less in the milk dept. My DD would scream if the jar was empty and she still wanted more so I would open up more food. There has to be cues of somesort even if they are sublte. I would give a designated breakfast, snack, lunch, snack and dinner. Fill in the gaps as needed. The hard part for us is that our LO has been a 3 meal a day kid since she was 6 weeks old. She only eats breakfast, lunch and dinner. If we are lucky she will squeeze in a snack. My LO who is 12 mos and weighs less their yours eats:

6oz of stage 3 jar plus 4 oz of cheerios and 8oz of 1/2 juice and 1/2 water for breakfast
    6oz of stage 3 jar plus 4 oz of fruit plus 4 oz of veggie and 8 oz of water
    8 oz of whatever we have for dinner plus 8 oz of milk
    If there is a snack it is more cheerios or a bannana
    coala

Answer by coala at 11:47 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• Ask your doc if they can give you any advice for a feeding schedule. And sites ike Gerber give a suggested feeding schedule for certain stages. I found that helpful. Its a good site in general too.
    MommyLee08

Answer by MommyLee08 at 12:01 AM on Jun. 24, 2009