Where o' where have all the pay phones gone?

Now more serious-ness. I am in Washington state and everywhere I go every darn pay phone is ripped out of its old, dirty, disrespected home. I don't understand.
I am just wondering if anyone has the reason why? I am pretty frugal so I have no cell phone and kind of depend on the pay phone system.
Also it is completely degrading to ask a grumpy cashier to use the stores phone.
So lame-o.
Thanks
= ]

Jess_TheMom13

Asked by Jess_TheMom13 at 11:42 PM on Jun. 23, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Well, we took the one out of the restaurant I ran because they were charging an arm and a leg for it.

My dad had a cheap prepaid cell plan that rolls his mins over. If you want the info pm me. We only have cells because dh works for the comp.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 11:49 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• Try Walmart. They have everything else....Seriouly, that's the only place I've seen one in ages. And some gas stations.
    Anonymous

• You could just ask someone who looks nice if you could use their cell phone.
    Anonymous

• The pay phone industry is slipping because of a lack of customers. The reason is of course cell phones.

"He said in order for a pay phone to remain in place it has to make at least 150 calls per month. Phones that don’t meet the requirement will likely be removed"

((got that from an article))

HannahLee87

Answer by HannahLee87 at 12:05 AM on Jun. 24, 2009

• I had heard they are going the way of the dodo. More and more people have cell phones. You may check into a prepaid one; it only costs me about $10 a month.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 12:13 AM on Jun. 24, 2009

• Cell phones have nearly put them out of business. Sometimes, I have even seen line-ups at those which remain. All hotels seem to have them in their lobbies, so do hospitals, malls, supermarkets and most large stores. High traffic areas.
    janet116

Answer by janet116 at 12:20 AM on Jun. 24, 2009

• grumpy cashier? seriously? if i was a cashier and saw your snobby butt wanting to use the phone for free i would say no! your not frugal, your cheap...cheap...okay.
    take your tight-@ss out and get a cell so you don't have to inconvience people who are trying to do thier jobs.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:45 AM on Jun. 24, 2009

• cell phones suck
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 12:58 AM on Jun. 24, 2009

• Welcome to the 21st century. You need a cell phone. Virgin Mobile has great phones and service and they only charge $35 a month. I don't even have a regular phone now that I have my cell.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:17 AM on Jun. 24, 2009

• When the gov't regulation was passed to break up the monopoly of Ma Bell over the phone network, then other phone companies started up (Sprint, etc.) This was long before cell phones were common.
    THEN further "equal opportunity" regulations got passed and suddenly various private companies were competing for the money-making payphones which Ma Bell had installed. You know, like having candy & soda vending machines in public places. Kind of like letting various companies have control of different sections of roadways ... imagine if some neglected to connect their pieces of road to other roads, or if some charged exorbitant fees because the user had no choice.

As a telephone operator, I encountered first-hand what a BAD idea it was to put the phone system up for grabs in this way - kids at the mall trying to call their families because their ride never showed up the mall was closing, etc. This was an important safety net !!
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 1:34 AM on Jun. 24, 2009