Can someone explain to me what all is happening in Iran?

Okay, I'm clueless on what's going on in Iran.

Could someone sum it up for me? Thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:52 PM on Jun. 23, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• They held an election for their Government leader (though they have a relgious leader as well who is "supreme" called an Ayatola *sp) The current president has been the president for a while (Ahmedinejad). He's a corrupt dictator and the people don't want him in office any more. The people of Iran believe he rigged the election because they count all their votes by hand, and 2 hours after the polls closed he was announced the winner. There were 40,000,000 votes cast and not anywhere near enough people to count that many votes in two hours. So they are revolting against Ahmedinejad's tyrranical rule. To make things worse, the police now have blood on their hands, as several people have been shot or beaten to death in the riots (by the police).

It's all really inspiring to me and I wish there was something I could do to support those men and women risking their lives for freedom.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 11:58 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• Thanks for taking the time to explain this to me :D
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:00 AM on Jun. 24, 2009

• Of course :) This is really important news. This isn't just a wimpy uprising, this is a full blown revolution. I only hope that they succeed.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 12:02 AM on Jun. 24, 2009

• The other thing that is happening is... there have been attempts to black out all media.. right now reporters cannot get in but people inside Iran are using cell phones and whatever they can and uploading to You Tube the horror going on as well as the marching protesters. It is history in the making for Iran. Men AND WOMEN are fighting ... I say KUDOS to the women over there... some are being killed!
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 12:38 AM on Jun. 24, 2009

• Man, I totally wonder what Jon and Kate think about this!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:49 AM on Jun. 24, 2009

• I hope they keep up the fight. My heart breaks for the people who have lost loved ones but my hat is off to them.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 4:01 AM on Jun. 24, 2009

• They have no freedoms. It is actually illegal to hold these protests. It is illegal to do most things we take for granted. The people are rising up because they are tired of being bullied by the government and they want the freedoms that we have. People can only take so much before they blow.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 10:18 AM on Jun. 24, 2009

• Iran is a democracy with a constitution and the people have rights. Ahmedinejad is not a tyranical dictator. You people have been taken in by the propaganda and spin fed by the media. The protesting in the streets after the so-called announcement that Ahmedinejad won is nothing more than a coup to oust him in favor of the U.S.'s puppet leader Mousavi, who is far from being their messiah. All this stems from the long-time conflict that has existed between the U.S. and Iran for years since the U.S. caused the overthrow of Mossadegh, who was vastly popular with the people. Mossadegh nationalized the Iran's oil and said to BP that more of the huge profits it was making from its oil must be returned to Iran and its people. BP, the UK and the U.S. didn't like this one bit and undertook to overthrough Mossadegh exactly the way the current protests are taking place. The U.S. replaced Mossadegh with the dictator Shah.
    Anonymous

• If you think for one minute that our own police and government would not act in the same way the police and government in Iran have against the people protesting, you are sadly mistaken. One only has to look at history to see that even U.S. citizens have been shot, killed, and beaten in protests by police and government. We have freedom to protest and freedom of speech so long as the Government wishes us to have it. I am totally taken aback by the people who are so against the supposed vote count in Iran, but didn't see one thing wrong when Bush was announced the winner in our own election despite the fact that the votes were not in. Where were the people of the U.S. when Florida initially refused to recount. Where were the protests then? Despite the fact that the Florida vote was never satisfactorily resolved and no real investigation into improper voting or vote fixing was done, the citizens sat back and accepted Bush.
    Anonymous