I have a 22 month old boy that when he gets mad or I guess frustrated he takes his hands and cups them & pats his ears

Do you think he doesn't how to verbally say what's wrong? He does talk (not in sentences) does your child do something similar when they are upset?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:13 AM on Jun. 24, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• my son is the same age && ever since he figured out that he had ears, he has rubbed them or played with them or something. I was always worried that he had an ear infection or something but never did. Idk, his ears are his comfort thing. He rubs them when he is mad, upset, sick, sleepy, etc. He is the first kid I've ever seen do this, but I think maybe this is what your son is doing too. It's just a way for them to self-soothe themselves.
    HisMommySince07

Answer by HisMommySince07 at 1:18 AM on Jun. 24, 2009

• This could be a subtle sign of something more. Next time you visit your pediatrician, mention it to them. I don't think the cupping could be an infection or anything, but repeated behavior like that can signal something like autism.
    Sorry, not meant to alarm you.
    Just a thought. I've been around a lot of children with subtle disabilities.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:37 AM on Jun. 24, 2009

• My Son is 3. He has Autism and he does this when he gets mad. Like the previous poster I do not want to alarm you but I thought of my Son when you said this.
    Dmajsmommy9396

Answer by Dmajsmommy9396 at 3:45 AM on Jun. 24, 2009

• my son does that mad or happy...i say do you feel better and he comes and gives me a kiss
    Mamaof2boys0709

Answer by Mamaof2boys0709 at 6:45 AM on Jun. 24, 2009

• Ears can be a sensitve thing. My son tickles his ears with the tag on Big Bear when he gets tired. I don't know what we'll do when the shreds of the tag disappear completely. He is NOT autistic.
    Repetitive behaviors when overstimulated are a sign of autism, but certainly not the only ones. Sensory issues are a very common indicator of autism, Is he sensitive to sensory stimulation? Such as:
    smell-does he hate or love certain smells?
    touch- does he crave certain fabrics, hate others? Does he ask you to squeeze/hug him a lot? Does he crash into things a lot, on purpose (I know, he's a BOY, they all seem to love that) or does he avoid most forms of touch?
    visually- does he freak out (or love it) if he's looking at something that is very busy?
    sounds-does he love or hate loud sounds? does he get completely distracted if the AC turns on?
    Just some thoughts. Feel free to email me if I can help.
    JawgaMom1

Answer by JawgaMom1 at 7:00 AM on Jun. 24, 2009

• I have two sons with SPD and one of them is on the spectrum. Both do something similar when overstimulated (not necessarily mad).

It's something to keep track of, to report to your pediatrician and note when he does it, how long it lasts, what happened to trigger the behavior, etc.

It might be something...and it might be nothing. Just keep an eye on it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:06 AM on Jun. 24, 2009