what else can i do to discipline my 3 year old???

it seems that i have tried everything there is to try when it comes to ideas. any idea what i can do to make her listen to me better?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:19 AM on Jun. 24, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• That depends on your beliefs.... I read a good book once, called "The New Strong Willed Child" It's great.
    Have you tried being consistent and making a rule chart? Usually it seems like nothing is working when you aren't really committing and following through like you have to. Trust me, I'm a slacker sometimes and I've found that if I slack at all with the kids it just shows them that they can get away with things. If they get away with it once that unravels all the times that I disciplines them for whatever it was. Time outs are tricky, it sucks always putting the kid back when they get up, My suggestion is to put them in time out, tell them that they stay there until they hear the beep from the timer, and when they get up put them back and say, If you get up before the timer I'm going to have to give you a spankin. I realize this is controversial, however if you do it correctly it is not physically harming your child.
    momofkearra

Answer by momofkearra at 1:39 AM on Jun. 24, 2009

• Very clearly tell and show your child that bad behavior has consequences. Explain in advance what the consequences are and stick to them. Be strict. If your child acts up in the store, leave the store immediately, take the child home (without saying a word), and enforce the consequence (time out, etc.). Your child needs to learn that you are serious.

Being made to sit in a time-out corner and/or loss of certain privileges are effective consequences. (Ex. take away his toys for the day.)

And there's nothing wrong with a good spanking.
    Mousuke

Answer by Mousuke at 2:00 AM on Jun. 24, 2009

• try consequences and reward. Consequences for bad behavior. Which mean you do not threaten, meaning when you say you are going to punish her for not doing something you go through with it. Rewards, meaning when she does good affirm her and give her a reward whether it is a treat or toy or just a hug and kiss.
    my2kids312

Answer by my2kids312 at 12:22 PM on Jun. 24, 2009