How do I convince my husband it's MY choice?

I told my DH that I wanted to stop BFing at 6 months. That's just when I want to stop...My DD is 2 1/2 months old, I have EBFed since birth and I am going to be spending the next 4 months at home with my mom and family b/c DH deploys on Thursday until November. We were discussing what all DD will be doing by the time he gets back and I brought up eating solids at 6 months and how that's when I wanted to stop BFing. He pretty much threw a fit b/c "his mother BFed all her kids until 12+ months". I told him how exhausting it can be and how I decided that 6 months was a good time to stop(IMO and for ME). How do I convince him it's MY decision and what can I tell him to make him feel better about me wanting to stop then?

MadisonsMom0408

Asked by MadisonsMom0408 at 12:24 AM on Jun. 24, 2009 in Just for Fun

• You don't need to convince him. It's your choice. He doesn't get a say.

But...have you established that the baby will take formula? Be sure to do so or forget the weaning plan. Solids are an afterthought all through year one...breastmilk or formula is the main food.

You'll need to start the weaning process well before six months...drop one feeding per week till gone, so calculate how often baby is feeding to determine when to start.

NO COLD TURKEY. It's named for a not-so-smart bird because it's not a smart way to go. Unless you like pain and engorgement. **grin**

And be aware...BABIES are exhausting. No matter how you feed them. Weaning DOES NOT mean they will sleep...they only do that when THEY are ready, and what you do ha little to no bearing on it.

Again. It's YOUR decision. Just make sure you go into it fully informed and with realistic expectations.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:33 AM on Jun. 24, 2009

• once she's on solids the baby wont' want to breast feed as often so it will be a good time to wean so you can just tell him that she was ready to stop BFing. You should not be forced to BF when you are ready to stop. He can't get mad at her!

Answer by admckenzie at 12:29 AM on Jun. 24, 2009

• What is he going to do? Stick your boob in the baby's mouth?? He doesn't have the right to decide what you do with YOUR body.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:36 AM on Jun. 24, 2009

• I think he is just sad he won't be here to see the transition.
    DonnaPinitonya

Answer by DonnaPinitonya at 12:36 AM on Jun. 24, 2009

• Of course it is your choice. Is your husband concerned about the extra cost of weaning early? Nursing saved us a boat load of $$$$.
    mom2boys1997

Answer by mom2boys1997 at 12:42 AM on Jun. 24, 2009

• Just follow the pediatrician guidlines. Even if you have to switch to formula be careful when intoducing solid foods to babies tender system. I had it out with my mother and sister when they wanted me to stop BF at 12 months. They even tried to make me introduce solid foods when my baby was not ready. But just be mindful and ask your pediatrician how to introduce food to your baby and follow what they reccomend.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:43 AM on Jun. 24, 2009

• Tell him you are not his mother, and quit comparing. Some woman never breastfeed, and he's darn lucky with 6 months if that's your choice.
    SEEKEROFSHELLS

Answer by SEEKEROFSHELLS at 12:55 AM on Jun. 24, 2009

• its for u to decide. i had to make a hard choice to but i did at least talk to hubby but in the end it was me who decided. neither one of my kids did it after a month. daughter eats more solids then her bro did at his age but they both like to eat.
    knagsmom

Answer by knagsmom at 1:05 AM on Jun. 24, 2009

• Just imagine how helpless you would feel if the tables were turned. What if he got to make the ultimate decision even though it was not what you thought was best for your baby? He is probably feeling helpless.
    I am not trying to push you to BF past 6 months, I didn't BF that long myself. Just making sure that you are considering his feelings, is there a compromise you two can make?
    Also, you are so lucky to have a man in your life that cares that much about your child's health.
    jenellemarie

Answer by jenellemarie at 2:27 AM on Jun. 24, 2009

• what qdiamante said! ^_^
    rAbella

Answer by rAbella at 3:07 AM on Jun. 24, 2009