Why is he so cranky before bed now?

My son is a week from being 6 months old. He is teething but we usually give him meds to help with everything and it does help but for the past 4 nights now he puts up a literal screaming fight before bed. Won't take a bottle although he is hungry. After I get him calmed down I lay him in his bed until he starts to play and then he will take a bottle. Is this a normal stage for them to go through?

leann74016

Asked by leann74016 at 12:26 AM on Jun. 24, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• my son is 7 months old and he was a great sleeper, now that he's teething he gets pretty cranky before bed so I'm thinking it's normal
    looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 12:29 AM on Jun. 24, 2009

• Yep, totally normal for a teether. My son was much like that, and needed to be rocked/cuddled until 9/mo. Remember, those phases don't last forever! Right now, my son goes to sleep as soon as I set him down in bed... I know that won't last. When will it hit? Your question is as good as mine, :)
    ShadesofGrey

Answer by ShadesofGrey at 12:55 AM on Jun. 24, 2009

• Sounds like teething.

Instead of the fight, why not try a nice warm bath before bed and a gentle massage. Then bottle and maybe a book or two. Now would be the perfect time for a quiet, dark and relaxed night time routine and you may even avoid the whole screaming fit all together. He will be so relaxed and know that it is time for bed and hopefully it will be easier and much more enjoyable for you.

GL
    mummylovebaby

Answer by mummylovebaby at 1:32 AM on Jun. 24, 2009

• ITS NORMAL MY 8 MONTH SIS WENT THROUGHT THE SAME THING IT'S LIKE THEY GET PAIN ONE OF A SUDDEN. THINK OF IT WHEN U GET A TOOTHACK. U WILL NEVER KNOW WHEN ITS GOING TO HAPPEN. JUST BE PATIENT N UNDERSTAND THEM.
    arlenearreola

Answer by arlenearreola at 1:51 AM on Jun. 24, 2009

• my 10 month old son is teething and he gets like that. he will also fight his sleep and be really cranky until i give him a bath and bottle:)!!
    Brandenmom08

Answer by Brandenmom08 at 3:02 AM on Jun. 24, 2009

• Hi, very good answers again.
    When our sons were younger the fighting sleep thing or just being cranky did happen
    but mostly with our youngest son.
    He wanted to be cuddled more and held. The warm bath suggestion is great. Sometimes the massaging sooths them and just calms them down right before they sleep. I think it's their little security blanket stage.
    Also I think when the teething stage hits it's so uncomfortable for them that they just want it to stop they poor thing can't communicate that to us, so therefore all they can do is be cranky or cry fight sleep. Think about it, when we don't feel well, we normally can't just drift off to sleep.
    Good luck with him.
    He'll be just fine.
    Remember, "It too Shall Pass".
    Blessings
    flea575
    flea575

Answer by flea575 at 3:53 AM on Jun. 24, 2009