Do you think a persons realtionship with their father has an impact on their religion?

And I mean their BIOLOGICAL father. Personally, I don't think it does. But I was wondering what you ladies thought.
-Ashley

spiritguide_23

Asked by spiritguide_23 at 12:40 AM on Jun. 24, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• No i dont think it does.
    momie_of_munch2

Answer by momie_of_munch2 at 12:42 AM on Jun. 24, 2009

• i think your parents influence your religious decisions so yes I think it can. I would imagine there are more variables to consider such as does the child live with the bio dad? Is the dad a controlling head of house? If the bio dad doesn't live with the child, does he see the child on days of Sabbath? All need to be considered. I think there is a lot more to it but if we're talking a Beaver Cleaver type of family I'll say yes.

Answer by admckenzie at 12:50 AM on Jun. 24, 2009

• I think the two are related but on a case-by-case basis. You can't necessarily prove that all kids who have this kind of dad will hold this kind of belief ect. It's too complicated. But yes, I feel that fathers, mothers, anyone and anything in our lives can influence what we believe.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 12:54 AM on Jun. 24, 2009

• I've never really thought about it before. ...What i know is that when i was 14 i told my bio dad (who is a dead beat and a registered SO) that i am Pagan. And he said that he accepted that and loved me anyways. Then the next day he sent me a poem about how if i dont accept jesus christ i'm going to hell.
    That ws the last time i talked to him.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 1:39 AM on Jun. 24, 2009

• I couldn't care less about whether my bio-dad accepts my beliefs or not. He CHOSE to not get help for his addictions (alcohol and little girls) over being a father. I have a wonderful adopted dad and he accepts me for me. I was just wondering if there is maybe some kind of correlation between women who are Pagan and those that didn't have a good relationship with their bio father.
    -Ashley
    spiritguide_23

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 1:51 AM on Jun. 24, 2009

• It all depends on if you want it to or not.

But to answer your question, No!
    witch_e_woman

Answer by witch_e_woman at 2:05 AM on Jun. 24, 2009

• I do not have a relationship with my biological father.  I have since I was about 3 and frankly I have no desire to ever have one.  I never knew his stance on religion until I became an adult (he's Christian...though his behavior proves otherwise).  Anyway, no...I do not think it is an impact.  Paganism is something that was inside me before I knew what to call it...my parents gave me the freedom and support to find what was inside me.  I think that had a huge impact.  They encouraged me to be true to myself rather then trying to fit into a specific mold.

anetrnlov

Answer by anetrnlov at 5:31 AM on Jun. 24, 2009

• I suppose it can depending on the relationship between father and child. I think a daughter's relationship with her father has a bigger impact on her future relationships with men.
    beeky

Answer by beeky at 7:11 AM on Jun. 24, 2009

• I barely had any relationship with my dad. He lives in Texas and, as a kid, I only saw him once a year. Now we don't talk at all because his new wife made him so damn judgmental that I can't even hold a conversation with him. My mom never talked about religion with me pretty much at all. She sent me to CCD, then let me quit when I got sick of it. After that we never went to church...in fact I don't even know what she believes about God. I guess my parents' lack of emphasis on religion made it easier for me to find myself because I wasn't afraid of what they'd think....but that's about all the influence there was.
    metalcowgirl34

Answer by metalcowgirl34 at 9:48 AM on Jun. 24, 2009

• I don't think it does. I had a great relationship with my father, and my hubby's dad was semi abusive to his mom then died when hubby was 8 and we are the same religion...it didn't make us different
    soccerchik8287

Answer by soccerchik8287 at 11:18 AM on Jun. 24, 2009