Have you ever noticed....

that most Christians seem to think their main purpose in life is to spread the word of god. And I don't mean that as a bad thing. I was looking at the "what is the purpose of your life" question and I notcied that most of the Christians answered the same way, while those of us who aren't Christian answered diefferently.
Why do you think that is?
-Ashley

spiritguide_23

Asked by spiritguide_23 at 12:44 AM on Jun. 24, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Well, it states clearly in the Bible that we, as Christians are to go out and share His love and His word to every nation. If someone doesn't want to hear it, that is all they have to say but at least some of us are willing to share what God has done in our lives with others. As I stated in my previous answer to the question you mentioned, my son has already traveled to Costa Rica to help others and share God's love, they appreciated it.
    army_wife2000

Answer by army_wife2000 at 12:50 AM on Jun. 24, 2009

• Well, I said "to glorify God and enjoy him forever" which is technically the "chief end of man" but I feel anwers the same question. It has nothing to do with sharing the word of God specifically. We are all given spiritual gifts and for me, teaching and preaching, IMHO, is not one that I've been given. I don't even pretend to think that I'm supposed to be converting souls left and right. I share, when asked, as I think every Christian should. I think Christ emphasized works, not as a mode of salvation, but as a mode of witness and testimony so that others may be called to praise him as well (if they are so lead). I do not believe a Christian's purpose is to shove the word of God down people's throats or attempt to share it with people who are not interested.

To answer the question, to me, thinking every Christian must be a missionary or preach the gospel is based on a misinterpretation but that is JMHO of course .
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 12:51 AM on Jun. 24, 2009

• I don't know why they answered that way as I'm not a Christian. I'm also not sure what my purpose here is. I'm just kind of flying by the seat of my pants. I'm an honest and generous person and I feel like I do the right thing MOST the time!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:52 AM on Jun. 24, 2009

• I thought the main purpose in life is to serve and be Jesus like. Wow, am I confused!

Answer by admckenzie at 12:57 AM on Jun. 24, 2009

• I understand WHY Christians feel that is a purpose in their life, I just don't see why some feel it is the ONLY purpose in thier life. For me, when I think of my purpose, I don't really think of Mother or Father God. Yes, they are the ones who put me here, but I believe I am the one who chose the purpose for this lifetime. But, as I am sure you already know, I am not a Christian.
    -Ashley
    spiritguide_23

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 1:48 AM on Jun. 24, 2009

• Brainwashing IMO.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 7:06 AM on Jun. 24, 2009

• i didn't get that xtians thought it was their ONLY purpose. however, this life, to xtians, is like pop quiz..we know its here, and can't do anything about it, but the more important 'life' is the afterlife, meaning, what we do in this earthly life, will determine our afterlife. (its early, and mybrain isn't working too well.)
    i didn't answer the other ?, because i don't think anyone really knows what their life's purpose is, until the very end of it, if they are lucky enough to have sound mind/physicality to reflect back. life is full of corners, and crossroads you don't expect; nothing is laid out in a realtime like a map to follow. things change, we change, and make our next decision(s) based on what just happened, for the most part. i think we can do the best we can individually, and hope in the end that we didn't screw up too much. JMO
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 8:56 AM on Jun. 24, 2009

• It all goes together. if you found a good sale or recipe don't you want to tell somebody? That is just what we do as people. When you find something good you tell somebody if not you just selfish and lying.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:45 AM on Jun. 24, 2009

• Well, I don't think they believe it's their only porpose in life. None that I know do. But they feel it's their main porpose and most see it as something that should be reflected in all they do. As a pagan I believe my porpose is to life my life as much in accordance with the laws of nature as I can and to help create a new generation of people that will all see the earth as a gift. I do my best to help spread religious education because only then will we have a chance to live side by side without hate and finally work together for the importance in life - caring for eachother and caring for the earth. I try to reflect my beliefs in everything I do. But I don't preach... I think that like me most Christians believe that what they believe should be translated in to their actions as much as their word. So, when asked their porpose that's it. All other reasons for life are affected by this one and visa versa...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:04 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• In the Bible it clearly states that as a Christian, God commands us to go out into all the nations and spread the Good News. Good News being His written word. Also, when you're a Christian, you WANT to share with others how you came to a Saving Knowledge of the Lord, and how that has changed your life.
    lighthousemom3

Answer by lighthousemom3 at 12:34 PM on Jun. 24, 2009