?! confused !?

I am so confused right now. One of my friend told me that she start feed her 4 months son vegetable and fruit. But I read on baby book said start on 6 months old?????!?!?!

Please help! I am soo soo CONFUSED RIGHT NOW

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:25 AM on Jun. 24, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You're not suppose to start until 6 months unless suggested by a doctor. Something to do with the digestion i think.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:27 AM on Jun. 24, 2009

• You're supposed to wait until six months. Some mothers just decide to start before then. ITs whatever.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:30 AM on Jun. 24, 2009

• It depends on the baby, among other things. Four months (I think) is acceptable if the child is showing signs of being ready for the food. Really the child dictates when he/she is ready more than the parent. Some parents are eager to get their babies on solids because they are excited about it, not because it is what is best for the baby. Other parents do it because they are lazy or because they try to cut down on costs of formula, both of which are harmful to the baby. If a baby is showing signs of being ready - not acting full after multiple bottle or breast feedings throughout the day, sitting up, holding their head up, etc., try adding a little bit of pureed baby food (fruit or veggies, whatever you want to start with) to the cereal and gradually increase the amounts.
    Rice cereal should always come first, and don't try and rush when introducing the fruits and veggies... Ultimately, starting sooner than 6 months is okay..
    vdecker

Answer by vdecker at 1:38 AM on Jun. 24, 2009

• IT DOESN'T HAVE TO BE TIL 6 MONTHS U CAN START AT 4 IT'S BETTER CUZ THEY START TO EAT 8 OZ RIGHT? SO IF U FEED THEM VEGGIES AND FRUITS THEY GET FULL AND DONT EAT ALOT OF FORMULA. JUST MAKE SURE U MAKE IT EASY FOR THEM TO EAT IT. AND ITS ALSO GOOD FOR THEM B/C THEY START TO TASTE FOODS. THE REASON WHY DOCTORS SAY NOT TO FEED THEM TILL THERE 6 MONTHS B/C SOMETIMES IT WON'T LET THEM POOP. . SO GIRL DON'T TRIP ITS GOOD FOR THEM.
    arlenearreola

Answer by arlenearreola at 1:43 AM on Jun. 24, 2009

• You should start with cereal first because it helps train the tongue. Formula is still majorly important because its still the most important source of their nutrition (or breastmilk too of course!).
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:52 AM on Jun. 24, 2009

• im a pediatric nurse myself and its cereal at 4/5 months NOT solids till 6 months due to their stomachs are not capable yet of handling it and starting too young can cause more allergies as well its best to wait
    preggoinmn

Answer by preggoinmn at 2:00 AM on Jun. 24, 2009

• Cereal IS a solid, defined as "something more substantial than breastmilk or formula."

For breastfed babies, the recommendation is six months minimum and you don't ever need to use cereal. (And considering it takes awful, better to skip. You want them to LIKE solids, y'know?) Mashed banana is a great first food.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:21 AM on Jun. 24, 2009

• You are NOT supposed to start until AT LEAST 6 months because their little digestive systems are not ready for it even cereal. That being said the old school of thought was to start cereal early and she may be seeing an old doctor who still subscribes to that or taking advice from older relatives. My kids didn't want anything or lose their tongue thrust until about 9 months both so that is what we did. We also breastfed though and I think for formula it is more important to get some other nutrients in their system around 6 months.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 7:24 AM on Jun. 24, 2009

• For ALL babies it is recommended to wait until at least 4 months, but to start by 6 months. Starting before 4 months or after 6 months increases the CHANCE that the baby MIGHT produce a hormone which COULD lead to diabetes. That's what the studies suggest anyway. (read the actual study not a report on it and you'll see that)

However, if mothers would go back to relying on their motherly instinct instead of all the books out there I think each individual baby would be better off. Babies have never read all the books which are saying what they are supposed to be doing. For every book that says to do "X" with the baby, you will find one that says to do "Y".
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:58 AM on Jun. 24, 2009

• With formula there are no other nutrients needed! Not even iron supplements that so many breastfeeding mothers have to add.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:00 AM on Jun. 24, 2009