If you go and get a massage, what do you expect?

What do you want to feel like afterwards? Do you go for pain or just strictly relaxation? How do you expect the massage therapist to dress? What sort of treatment do you seek?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:32 AM on Jun. 24, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I expect to feel really relaxed afterwards, like how your body feels after you have a few beers, you know! I would like it if the massage therapist was wearing something comfortable, nothing dressy. I expect to get great treatment considering I'm paying $100 bucks for that massage.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:35 AM on Jun. 24, 2009

• I do it more for relaxation and to get rid of stress. I think the message therapist should be comfortable maybe a uniform and I don't like a lot of talking during the session as I want to relax and I don't expect to have to tip on top of paying for the session.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:39 AM on Jun. 24, 2009

• I'm curious about this too. I want a professional massage, but I don't want strangers touching me anywhere too intimate. I know that it's common procedure for a masseuse to massage your butt and inner thighs, and I'm not down with that. Could I ask her to specifically steer clear of those areas? :p

P.S. Sorry to hyjack your question!
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 1:40 AM on Jun. 24, 2009

• a happy ending?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:41 AM on Jun. 24, 2009

• DAMNIT! ann :41 took my answer lol. Remember that movies with Val Kilmer and Mira Sorvino?
    Gigi1969

Answer by Gigi1969 at 1:49 AM on Jun. 24, 2009

• OP here!
    You can absolutely ask them to avoid any areas you don't want addressed. Just let them know before hand in the consultation. Usually they NEVER massage inner thighs unless you have tightness there needing attention. Even with the bum you are usually draped and they don't use their palms. I am a massage therapist and was asking this question to get other opinions on what people expect.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:57 AM on Jun. 24, 2009

• I have never had one, but would love one to help work out the kinks in my muscles and to feel more relaxed.
    My huge fear, though, is that I have rolls and bulges and would feel incredibly embarassed to have this thin and pretty lady, or a handsome dude, come in to do the massage. I would be mortified, actually.
    If I could have an ordinary woman between 180-240 pounds and tall do my massage then I would feel more at ease and know that they understand my body.

I have heard that they ask if you have medical problems, like back pain. Is that so they avoid the area in order to prevent a lawsuit? I have osteoarthritis and chronic back pain in my L5-S1 area and wondered if massage would be better or worse for it.
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 11:54 AM on Jun. 24, 2009

• OP here. They ask you those questions to create the perfect massage for you. Because every person is different and has different needs and problems, every massage is different. They don't necessarily have to avoid the area, just treat it differently to avoid causing excess pain and possibly creating more problems. Also, there is no reason to be embarrassed. They are not there to judge you. They want to help you. I promise. Massage could definitely help with chronic back pain.
    Anonymous