children and their career

My sister-in-law(she is my brother-in-law's wife) recently decided that she would tell my 15 year old that she would "not support" her decision to become a vet tech, saying that she should be a veternarian instead. My daughter does not want to be a veternarian. She wants to be a vet tech. I told my sister-in-law to mind her own business. Was I wrong?Let me know! Thanks!

celticmom2

Asked by celticmom2 at 1:34 AM on Jun. 24, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• Your SIL is entitled to her opinion, but you were also right in telling her to bugger off. You just need to be that much more supportive of your daughter's choice in carreer.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 1:47 AM on Jun. 24, 2009

• While yes, people are entitled to their opinion, some things they should just keep to themselves. I would have told my child not to even worry about what she, or anybody else, thinks.
    mamalinzie

Answer by mamalinzie at 8:07 AM on Jun. 24, 2009

• it's all about control isn't it? someone who feels the need to impose what they think is best for someone else is always present somewhere.she's 15, what is the likelihood she'll change her profession in her lifetime anyway? dont sweat the small stuff and let your sil be the pain in the butt that my sil is too.
    i like to refer to these folks as porcupine people. they always hurt someone when they are around.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 8:40 AM on Jun. 24, 2009

• At 15 I'd want my options open. She could start out as one and realize she'd like to move up to Vet. I'd tell her to do as she wants but to keep an open mind. As for the SIL, I'm sure she just wants to teach the young lady that she doesn't have to settle for the lower ranked position. I doubt if she meant any harm. I think the message should be choose your own field of career but keep all options open.

Answer by admckenzie at 10:23 AM on Jun. 24, 2009

• What does your SIL have to do with any of this? She is your kid right? Who gives a crap what your SIL thinks of YOUR DD's life choices. I would not even give her the time of day about this one, it is none of her business. Yes you were right to tell her to MYOB.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 11:29 AM on Jun. 24, 2009