Do you think that "mentally challenged" adults should be allowed to "pro-create"?

I lived in this trailer parks YEARS ago and there was this couple who were like really "mentally challenged". They almost accidentally set their trailer on fire 4 times and couldn't even really take care of themselves very well.
Well low and behold, she got pregnant.
I was talking to a guy I was dating at the time about it. And it turned into an argument. This is just MY OPINION on this, I don't feel that they should "pro-create". He disagrees.
The baby died at 10 months(drowned in the tub, her fault, she "forgot" he was in there).
What's your take?

PS I have no idea what category this should go under

Starfire73

Asked by Starfire73 at 1:39 AM on Jun. 24, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I actually met a young girl who was retarded who had a baby. She was at a cook out where I was with her new born and she couldn't get the baby to stop crying and her parents told her to go feed him. She stopped off and screamed at the baby to shut up. The parents of the girl had to go chase her down and tell her not to treat him that way. It tore me up inside. It gave me the feeling of deep sadness and fright and like I was going to throw up. That baby needs someone who actually cares and is willing and capable to take care of that child. Turns out the retard ran away and left the baby.

I personally feel they shouldn't pro create. Even with supervision, you don't know what they can do with their own child even if left alone with them for two minutes. And I don't feel we should just see how it works out. That is risking a child's life.

Even today, remembering that makes me sick to my stomach.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:03 AM on Jun. 24, 2009

• No, I do not think we should limit the reproductive freedoms of others. The government has surgically sterilized people against their will in the past based on their own set of standards of what "feeble-minded" is. Turns out, they're pretty shitty at setting standards and sterilized a lot of people who shouldn't have been (Buck v Bell is the most famous case resulting from this movement within the government).

I think that if someone is truly incompetent, they ought to have someone taking care of them and looking after them and protecting them from pregnancy IF the person who is their caretaker feels that they could not handle a pregnancy or a child. I do not think that being mentally challenged is necessarily a prediction of what your parenting skills will be like. If we say certain people "are not allowed" to have kids, then what's stopping someone from saying YOU'RE not allowed to have kids?
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 1:43 AM on Jun. 24, 2009

• If we say certain people "are not allowed" to have kids, then what's stopping someone from saying YOU'RE not allowed to have kids?<~~~~~Uhhh, I'm not mentally challenged
    Starfire73

Answer by Starfire73 at 1:45 AM on Jun. 24, 2009

• Doesn't sound very "fun"
    I don't agree with you. I think that the people responsible for the mentally challenged adult's didn't do a very good job, but no, I don't agree with you.
    Who decides who is qualified or non-mentally challenged enough to have children?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:46 AM on Jun. 24, 2009

• I think that's a tough call. I mean, how do you decide who can have a baby and who cant. There are many of people out there that have disabilities that would and do take wonderful care of their children.
    And if you're gonna start at mentally challenged where do you end? Should the blind be allowed to have children? the deaf? those with ASD?

What i think is that if they need so much help that they are not able to live on their own (they recive outside help from others such as a nursing company or whatever) then NO. because you cant expect someone who cant take care of themselves to take care of a baby.

But the couple you were talking about. It sounds like they lived alone. ...in that case, i hope she was held responsible for the involuntary manslaughter (or whatever legall term they could use) of her baby.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 1:46 AM on Jun. 24, 2009

• popcorn

Anonymous

• If they cant take care of themselves then the government should have stepped in and took that baby! thats so sad. I think if they were supervised and watched, then maybe have kids but they need to be able to understand things and honestly, they cant.
    Alysia_Moore

Answer by Alysia_Moore at 1:48 AM on Jun. 24, 2009

• They lived on their own, But her dad lived in the same trailer park. I did mention to him a few times asking if social services of some sort helps them and he said that they would "look into it". It didn't happen.
    It's so sad. He was a cute baby too.
    Starfire73

Answer by Starfire73 at 1:51 AM on Jun. 24, 2009

• Why not? I did! Oh crap! I just remembered I left my kid in the tub, later!
    Gigi1969

Answer by Gigi1969 at 1:52 AM on Jun. 24, 2009

• LOL anon:46. My opinion is I've seen a challanged couple and they had twins and OMG they loved those babies so much. Some times it was like kids raising kids and that isn't in a bad way, I mean like they just seemed so inocent and loving. I can't really explain it, but they were always clothed right, their hair was always done, they sang to them, it was amazing. I remember walking past them on my way to the store(walking) and the twins said "HI" at 9 months old, it was amazing to see. Before they were born I thought the couple was like two 11 year olds dating, innocent love but they did everything to take care of those children. We moved so the last I seen was when the twins were 4 years old. Anyways, so from my experience I disagree with you, but then again I do feel some people may need supervision or help from others when raising a child. Just like a teen needs help when they raise a child.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:53 AM on Jun. 24, 2009