How can you just stop caring?

I found out someone I'm very close to and care for very much, and who has always been a loving, kind, caring person to me, committed a horrible crime and will more than likely spend the rest of his life in prison. It seems that I'm expected to simply "stop caring" about him. Is that possible? Do you just stop caring for someone? If this was you, could you just turn your feelings off and simply disregard the wonderful relationship you had with a person?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:08 AM on Jun. 24, 2009 in Relationships

• I would not be able to just stop caring for someone. And depending on the crime, i might continue a relationship with that person.

Please note: i said depending on the crime.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 2:10 AM on Jun. 24, 2009

• Not a nice crime. Shooting with intent to kill (didn't kill the person he shot, but he shot him), aggravated assault and battery/aggravated armed robbery, and possession of a firearm...but regardless of continuing or not continuing a relationship with this person, should I be expected to just stop caring for him, period? To me, that seems ridiculous and more or less impossible.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:18 AM on Jun. 24, 2009

• I WOULDN'T STOP CARING BT WOULDN'T SAY IT WAS OK ABOUT IT. I WOULD STILL CARE BT NOT GET INVOLVED WITH HIM AS MUCH AS I USE TO.
    arlenearreola

Answer by arlenearreola at 2:21 AM on Jun. 24, 2009

• Being who I am I'm very capable of no longer caring for someone. This sounds really harsh, but I had really close relationships with friends in high school then I heard they were in jail or died because they did drugs and honestly I was just like "wow that sucks" and went on with my life. My older brother does drugs and lives on the streets and I haven't talked to him in over 4 years, if I were to see him on the streets I probably wouldn't recognize him. The moment I say I no longer want to deal with you, that's it I'm seriously done. But again this is how I am because of where I come from and things that have shaped me from my past.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:23 AM on Jun. 24, 2009

• i had the same problem with a now ex-boyfriend, he committed a horrific crime and got locked up and just recently got out, i still care for him as a friend but nothing more and havent talked to him lilke i used to
    Brandenmom08

Answer by Brandenmom08 at 3:17 AM on Jun. 24, 2009

• Unless you just don't have a heart, it's near impossible to just stop caring about someone you once felt very deep for. This is probably going to be a very hard time for you, but I would simply tell people that yes you still care for this person even though you totally disagree with what they did. You can't help who you care for, it just happens sometimes.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:27 AM on Jun. 24, 2009