Do you let your child play with their food if they are eating it?

I hate to have to be the nagger, but my husband doesn't seem to care if our son has any manners (especially at the table), and my MIL (lives with us) won't say anything. Do I just let it go or keep correcting it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:10 AM on Jun. 24, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Depends on the age and how often. If it is a very young child, and he hasn't learned not to yet, then no. He has to learn proper manners first, then as he gets older, then he can learn when it is, and is not appropriate to be a little silly every now and then. My kids are all aged 5 -10 now, and I do occasionally not only allow playing with thier food just for a laugh, but I start it too. They know thier table manners well already, and know when and where something like that is appropriate, and when it is not.
    3gifts.from.god

Answer by 3gifts.from.god at 2:14 AM on Jun. 24, 2009

• How old? ...at 7 or 8?. No. i would not be allowing my children to play with their food at the table.

My sons right now are 4yrs and 3yrs. I dont mind it so much as long as they really are eating it. But once they start playing too much i dont allow any play at all.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 2:16 AM on Jun. 24, 2009

• I agree with you. I correct my children too, they are almost 5 and 2 1/2 years old. Teach them young and they will eventually learn, at least that they are not supposed to play with their food. It may take a long time to listen, but i believe starting for the get-go is the way to go, e.i, i already have my 2 1/2 year old saying "excuse me." I just correct them, and they catch on eventually. Good luck hun. :)
    Iluvmygirlies42

Answer by Iluvmygirlies42 at 2:22 AM on Jun. 24, 2009

• Between 5-8 and definitely old enough to know not to play with your food.

I agree that if you start it early.. even at like 2 they will learn not to do that and to have manners when eating dinner, lunch, breakfast.
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 3:40 AM on Jun. 24, 2009

• Not at this age, absolutely not. They are old enough to know better.
    LadyEb

Answer by LadyEb at 7:47 AM on Jun. 24, 2009

• first of all ...why would your MIL say anything??? you are the parent not her

since you are in the 5-8 age group I think you already know the answer to your question.....unless your child has a disability he should not be playing with his food. He should know his table manners and how to behave at the table.

I would start punishing him if he keeps it up . explain to him that from now on he must use his table manners or he will not get dessert, TV time, video time etc etc. Not all men 'get it' when it come to manners at the table. be strong and be firm

justgrape723

Answer by justgrape723 at 8:14 AM on Jun. 24, 2009

• As long as he is eating and not flinging it around the dining room leave him alone. You are at home not in a restaurant.

Chrissy629

Answer by Chrissy629 at 8:27 AM on Jun. 24, 2009

• if we are at home, it really doesnt bother me if they play around with their food( we have even been known to have food fights,lol,).as long as they eat some of their food i dont see the problem.part of learning new tastes, textures,etc,...now resturants are a whole other story,but we dont go out very often unless it is the Sonic where we can just sit in our own car.
    Kiki_pie

Answer by Kiki_pie at 8:39 AM on Jun. 24, 2009

• My kids don't play with their food, but I'm still teaching them to use a fork for their veges!
    mamaada

Answer by mamaada at 8:40 AM on Jun. 24, 2009

• No.... 5-8 is too old to be playing with their food. If it's occasional I'd let it go. If it's every meal you should put a stop to it!! Nag away mama!
    drowninginboys

Answer by drowninginboys at 9:18 AM on Jun. 24, 2009