WOULD YOU GO BACK?

SO I SEE THIS DOC WHO SAYS ....
1ST VISIT, DEPRESSION HERE TAKE CELEXA
2ND VISIT , OCD HERE TAKE THESE TWO PILLS PLUS THE CELEXA
3RD VISIT, BIPOLAR HERE TAKE THESE TWO PILLS PLUS THE TWO I GAVE YOU LAST TIME AND THE CELEXA
4TH HE WANTS TO GIVE XANAX NOW WITH ALL THE OTHER MEDS!!!!
WHAT THE HELL I'M NOT TAKING ALL THAT MAYBE HE IS CRAZY ..........SHOULD I STOP GOING TO SEE HIM OR SHOULD I LISTEN TO HIM AND KEEP TAKING ALL THESE PILLS? AND WHAT THE HELL IS XANAX??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:12 AM on Jun. 24, 2009 in Health

• I would see another doctor, yes. He's giving you one too many meds, with what sounds like no time in between, pills take time to work they are miricles or anything. Also, it sounds to me that he is just guessing......definetly not good. If it were me, i'd stop taking all pills, and see another doctor.
    Iluvmygirlies42

Answer by Iluvmygirlies42 at 2:17 AM on Jun. 24, 2009

• Xanax is for anxiety and panic disorder.

Yes, I'd see another doc..this one is giving you too many meds.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:15 AM on Jun. 24, 2009

• i would get a second opion. some times 1 doctor is not enough
    aprilsalcro

Answer by aprilsalcro at 2:15 AM on Jun. 24, 2009

• Wow, that is a LOT of mood altering drugs. Is he a phychiatrist or is he a regular doctor? Either way I would be getting a second opinion, but if he was my regular doctor I would be dropping him as my primary as well.

Xanax is an anti-anxiety pill given to people with panic disorder.

Psychological disorders do often run in groups, but they don't require so much medication! I bet you feel awful on all those drugs! If it turns out that you really do need them, then by all means, take them. But I somehow doubt that you need all of them. Some good therapy would probably do you a world of good.

I hope you get a better answer than a pill-happy doctor!
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 2:16 AM on Jun. 24, 2009

• No, I would not go back. Taking psychotropic medication when it is unnecessary can create an unnatural dependence on the medication and actually cause a depletion of your natural supply of neurotransmitters. It should only be prescribed if your doctor feels that you need medication, he should be discussing this with you and asking your opinion on meds vs. therapy FIRST.

You could have a duel diagnosis (more than one mental illness) but he's arriving at all of them so quickly. That concerns me.

I would see a new doctor immediately.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 2:21 AM on Jun. 24, 2009

• holy guacamole! stop seeing that doctor. by the next visit, he might prescribe 3 more new medications or worse-- have you committed to a mental institution!
    rAbella

Answer by rAbella at 2:24 AM on Jun. 24, 2009

• Xanax is ADDICTING!!!
    My brother went to rehab for xanax. Its a DRUG! Its one more think u have to wean yourself off of. I am taking Zoloft 50 mg and i wish i would have never taken it. Be careful, with any depression pills you wont be able to orgasm. I Havent in forever since taking them!!!
    dennysgirl07

Answer by dennysgirl07 at 2:27 AM on Jun. 24, 2009

• I have Bipolar DIsorder and though I am not on meds now (not by choice I can't afford them) I was on several. That is what it took to control my symptoms effectively, medication worked wonders for me. That said, it isn't the number of medications your on that concerns (I was on Trileptal, Lamictal, Prozac, Adderall XR, Abilify, & Lovaza (prescription Omega 3). I took all of them at the lowest possible dosages, except the Lovaza. I also tried other meds along the way but, theses are what worked. I didn't have an "extreme" case either, no psychosis, rare mania, mainly just hypo manic & depression. If you have Bipolar Disorder you are NEVER to be given a med for depression without a mood stabilzer. So either your Dr. didn't see evidence of bipolar until AFTER he gave you the Celexa, or he doesn't know what he is doing. Bipolar can be difficult to diagnose since when people are manic or hypo manic they may not have any cont'd
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:36 AM on Jun. 24, 2009

• cont'd complaints (although both can cause a lot of destruction). People don't usually come in saying I'm elated, whats wrong. So, I can't tell for sure if the Dr. had no way of knowing or is unskilled. Also, it depends how far apart the appointments were. When i first started with my psychiatrist I was starting new meds regularly as long as I was tollerating & responding well to the previous. But, again, my Dr. was excellent & I discovered on my own that I have Bipolar, she just confirmed it. Only you know the extent of the difficulties your having but, sometimes it is easier for the Dr. to see certain things, you just have to go with your gut & ask a trusted friend or family member if they see symptoms too. No one wants to take meds & no one can make you but, I would get ALL the facts & info & research your diagnoses before quiting them all together. A good Psychiatrist should either do a bit of talk theraoy with you cont'd
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:43 AM on Jun. 24, 2009

• He seems a bit pill happy to me. Most Dr.'s only give Xanax as a last resort, it is adictive to say the least, that seems like a lot of medication to be on at one time. I am no doctor though. A second opinion never hurt anyone.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 12:05 PM on Jun. 24, 2009