• In the Spotlight:

Not sure where to put this one...

I am currently 21 weeks pregnant...& it was somewhat unplanned considering I was told it would be another year or so until I was able to get pregnant after my problems with the Depo shot. I was told fall of '09 or later before it was likely I would be able to conceive. Needless to say, they were wrong & I conceived in early February of this year. Anyways, I was also told that hormonal B/C is not a good choice for me, but that there is an IUD that has no hormones in it that I can have placed after I give birth in October. Has anyone else had an IUD that had no hormones, & did it work??

WannabeMommy87

Asked by WannabeMommy87 at 2:57 AM on Jun. 24, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I have not used it. But i did look up IUD's an hour or so ago. The kind you are talking about is made of copper or has copper in it and is good for up to 12 years. From what i read, the only way you can get pregnant with an IUD is if it moves out of place, which is not a likely occurance. Also, an IUD is affective as soon as it is insurted. ...
    Oh. and it works better for woman who have already had a baby ...it's less likely to move out of place.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 3:26 AM on Jun. 24, 2009

• hello! I am currently 39 wks 5 days.. and I had an IUD between my two.. (they are almost 5 years apart)... the one I had was called a Mirena.. and it is what I will use next time. I LOVED it.. I had NO side effects.. no weight gain, hair loss, mood swings, etc. I even lost weight.. It was covered thru my insurance and was inserted in a doctors office visit.. covered with just a co-pay.. it lasts 5 years.. your supposed to have it checked every year.. and after 5 have it replaced unless removed.. I got mine in july of 05 and didn't have a period after march of 06.. until I had it removed.. I had it removed Sept 08 and got pregnant Oct. 08.. :) so, they are effective.. Hope this helps you make your choice..! They are wonderful and when I deliver I will be getting another :) Have a great day and good luck!
    Mom2Meredith

Answer by Mom2Meredith at 7:45 AM on Jun. 24, 2009