do labor contractions always hurt?

i am 38w4d and i have been having tightening in my belly for the past couple hours but there is no pain, except occasionally in my lower back. Should i go to L&D or just wait till they hurt or my water breaks?

KareyChaos

Asked by KareyChaos at 3:54 AM on Jun. 24, 2009 in Pregnancy

• i didnt have any bursts of energy or nesting bc i already had everything ready. i had family and friends to help me. everyone is saying that that messed me up and now i wont have any signs it will just happen.
    KareyChaos

Answer by KareyChaos at 3:59 AM on Jun. 24, 2009

• dont go to L&D until they are 4 min apart i believe.

you may just be having braxton hick contractions.. they are painless usually.

and when you are in REALY labor, yes .. they hurt.
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 4:01 AM on Jun. 24, 2009

• well right now they are about 10 min apart.
    and thank you.
    <3
    KareyChaos

Answer by KareyChaos at 4:03 AM on Jun. 24, 2009

• No with my 2nd pregnancy they didn't really hurt, they were very uncomfortable, I felt a lil like I had to pooh, and honeslty my contractions were in the inside of my right leg, it was really werid, thats where my "pain" was, and then the pressure of my dd coming down but that was it, i was talking through my contractions and was 6 1/2 cm when I got to the hospital. I even ran into my ob in the elevator and she was like, you're not even in pain, you're not in labor! LOL proved her wrong! So no in my experiance they didn't hurt. my first pregnancy, yes they hurt like hell. they hurt like ppl would have expected them to, in the stomach area...eh, whatever...
    anikahaynes1

Answer by anikahaynes1 at 4:12 AM on Jun. 24, 2009

• well i haven't seen my OB in like 2 weeks bc he went on vacation but, last time i saw him he said that i wasn't dilated at all but like i said that was 2 weeks ago. my next appointment is on thurs. i don't want to wait that long. i need to know now bc my BF is getting all excited and like we gotta go... its our first and we are very anxious...
    KareyChaos

Answer by KareyChaos at 4:18 AM on Jun. 24, 2009

• It depends on your pain threshold how much they hurt. Keep track of them (real ones will shorten the time between and lengthen the time of), drink some water (dehydration can cause contractions) and try different positions (this can give some relief during real ones but won't stop them, in BH it can stop them). Don't be disappointed if it is BH , these practice contractions (I hate the term false labor) are readying you for the real thing.
    Jerichos_Mommy

Answer by Jerichos_Mommy at 4:35 AM on Jun. 24, 2009

• your belly getting tight is normal, my belly did that for a whole month at the end of my pregnancy. I had braxton hicks and bad back pain I couldn't sit, lay, sleep I was just miserbole I had to pee every five minutes, I kept thinking I was going into labor, and with all that I had to be induced at 40 weeks cuz he was still sitting really high
    looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 4:54 AM on Jun. 24, 2009

• Thats what my tummy did, it would just tighten but I wasnt uncomfortable and they didnt hurt my mom actually noticed it before me, she was like didnt you just feel that and I was like feel what and she like your stomach is contracting, and then later that night my water broke, so I wouldnt go to L&D just yet but you never know you might be on your way in few hours.
    Abbysmommy321

Answer by Abbysmommy321 at 6:21 AM on Jun. 24, 2009

• Thery probably are BH, but even my BHs hurt! LOL. Once you're actually in labor, they're likey to hurt, especially if you usually get cramps with your periods.

Good luck!

LIZARD :)
    LIZARD66

Answer by LIZARD66 at 8:46 AM on Jun. 24, 2009

• How far away are you? If you are just a few minutes away from the hospital wait until they are about 2 minutes apart. You don't have to go in if your water breaks. Just don't stick anything in yor vagina, make sure baby is still moving, near odorless and colorless discharge, and no fever. It's a myth you have to deliver within so many hours of your water breaking.
    MoonLover06

Answer by MoonLover06 at 8:50 AM on Jun. 24, 2009